Mystery machine

mikejosh22312

Retro Newbie
Hi guys

I've just picked this retro looking bike up off Facebook but I can't seem to find what model it is.

It says cannondale on the frame and in the cable runner under the bottom bracket but no serial numbers anywhere. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20160725_192204.jpg
    IMG_20160725_192204.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 831
FluffyChicken":17saw8tv said:
http://vintagecannondale.com/info/serial_numbers/
serials and where to look.

It's a cannondale Series 3 frame with original forks
I had a look on there earlier but there is no numbers anywhere.

I had a looks with my torch to see if they were feint but nothing.

there is a lot of catalogues though. Does the colour look original as it looks a different blue to the original colour on the forks.

I can only help as I'm no expert on 'dales

Your right about the colour on the forks, they are a lot lighter. As far as I can tell the paint is original. There's no other colours where it's chipped and it doesn't look like a rattle can job.

I'm going to guess that that is a resprayed frame which was retrofitted with suspension forks before the respray hence when the original forks were put back on they were a different (and original) colour. The frame colour is not a cannondale standard that I remember.

(Had to edit as I've just seen it does have Force40 brakes)

If the Pepperoni forks are original to the bike then it has to be either an M2000, M1000 or M800 (beast of the east). Now it's not got the BoE geometry (high BB, trail trials style) so it's got to be an M2000 or M1000.
Year wise the top tube cable guides are post 1990 and the Force40 brake rollers on the Pepperoni forks means it's 1992 or later but the lack of ahead means it's pre 1994. However the seat collar suggests 1993, but the stem looks to be an answer atac so it could be a late 1992 M2000

I had a deep green (almost black) M1000 similar to that. From memory
the serial number was some funky dot-matrix characters stamped very lightly on the stay.

As the bike was seemingly modified quite extensively, I would not count on the parts to identify the frames year.

If I remember correctly, those type typicle rear fall outs came in two major versions. The early frames had a 1" steerer tube. Later on, those were changed to 1 1/4. Other than that, the bikes called M600 to M1000 were using the same frames, only different group sets.

Re:

Hard to see if there's Force40 front and rear and what is the headset diameter : with no Force 40 and 1" steerer : the frame is 91 and was called "SM…"(It could be an EST forks if it's 1"steerer + Force 40). With Force 40 and 1"1/4 steerer, the bike is 92 and called "M". With Force40 and 1"1/8 steerer, it's still called "M" and it's after 93 :D

But it's a resprayed bike with not original component. The down tube logo is too modern (I would say around 9:cool: and doesn't match with the pepperoni logo on the fork ;)
The serial number (under the stays or under the BB) would be erased when respraying

Back