Help Improve My Brake Performance

Mr Scruff

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
- WARNING - STUPID QUESTION AHEAD!

Ok, I think I may already know the answer to this one but want to confirm.

The brakes on my P7 are terrible and I need to improve them somehow. I guess I have 3 variables:

1) Frame/Forks (standard Orange P7 frame and F7 fork)
2) Levers (Shimano ST MC-34)
3) Brakes themselves (Shimano M951)

I was thinking that the frame, which was designed for cantis, was the problem with too much flex. However, thinking about it, have I managed to combine canti brake levers with V-brakes? What can I do to improve them? The lever goes all the way back to the bar, no matter how much I try and adjust them, which can be a bit unnerving at speed off-road!

If I need to replace my levers can I split the combined levers and shifters or will I need to replace both?

Thanks!

You're using v brakes with canti brake levers. That's always a bit crap, and in exactly the ways you describe.

Re:

If they are combined brake levers/shifters then why not look at changing the Canti brakes for V-brakes?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks, appreciate the replies.

Ultimately, despite the state of my bike (it's 'well used') I'm a bit of a tart and love the M951 kit!

Digging around in the garage I've found a whole heap of stuff I forgot I had so - now I've confirmed the problem - I'll see what I can put together.

Back