Spd pedals (loving them)

BikerB

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
After years of dodging the use of spd pedals.Finally took the plunge and got some ,well second hand.
Wtf have i been doing without these.Bike feels so much better to ride ,finding them fine to unclip
Riding with a grin in my face like i have discovered the newest thing in the world lol... :cool:

Re:

I find it hard to remember a time before I rode clipless... although I also find it hard to remember where I parked the car and the cats name!

al.

Re:

Hah, I did the opposite! After having only ever ridden SPDs since I was 15, I discovered properly good flat pedals a few years ago. Feel much more secure now, don't think I'll ever go back.

Be a funny world if we were all the same! ;-)

Re:

The bottom end of Alexandra Rd and Honey, if you were wondering!

al.

Re:

I find them brilliant for road biking, not so for off-roading, I cant think of anything worse that being clipped onto my Kona Explosif :twisted:

One day though you will pull up at the traffic lights and forget to unclip and have a fall, its happened to us all ;)

Re: Re:

widowmaker":2zz0jj0n said:
I find them brilliant for road biking, not so for off-roading, I cant think of anything worse that being clipped onto my Kona Explosif :twisted:

One day though you will pull up at the side of a bunch of nettles and forget to unclip and have a very slow fall, its happened to us all ;)

Or that /\ :cool:

Re:

Spds are pretty much essential if you ride regularly.I ride flats a handful of times during the year but only as a last resort if conditions are stupidly sticky.I remember my first spd ride in `93 and it was a revelation.However I did have the foresight to spend the entire day previously getting used to them and cycling up and down the road,adjusting the tension and all that,therefore never fell over at lights etc.

Re:

One summers day when I first went spd, I cycled up Bullbarrow Hill in Dorset which is no mean feat. Got to the top where there is a vantage area where people park to admire the view, stopped unclipped eat a banana had a swig of drink........looking cool so far.........clipped in again to cycle to the bin.......still looking semi-cool.....pulled up by the bin with banana skin in hand......forgot to unclip.......fell against the bin.......head almost inside the bin......then slid down onto the gravel.

Only 20 or so vehicles noticed me :facepalm:

Got up rode off.......stopped down the corner and inspected the bloody mess on my knee :oops: :oops:

Re:

Once upon a time I actually trained myself to pedal properly using SPDs, pedalling in circles and lifting the trailing foot up slightly. The efficiency gains are quite significant vs pushing the trailing foot down to keep it planted on the pedal becasue this is actually working against the hard work one is doing to push the driving foot down.
I remember putting flatties back on the bike one day and my companions commented that I looked like a lunatic because I was floating my trailing foot a couple of inches off the pedal, it did look and feel weird.
Alas now my pedalling is noway near as efficient, I've been doing some 1 footed pedalling rcently, trying to train myself back into a good pedal action.

Back