BB size for Sugino VP2 cranks?

stingray230sx

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
going to polish up and put the original cranks back on my 1988 Specialized hardrock...they are Sugino VP2 and I have most of the old BB for reference ie spindle length see attached pick.

I am guessing I can get a 68 x 124.5 to work for it? , though i have found no shimano in stock anywhere except .au and they wont ship, i did find a yst "no thread" but hesitate to try that as the BB shell threads are still in great shape [currently has a 68 x 113 in it] but am i correct in that the original spindle measurement at 124 is what i am looking for to fit the VP2 crank?

some crazy zhongya brand on ebay from china has the 124.5 length but im not to thrilled with the blue ano cups lol: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Moutain-Bik ... saYYUbkaJQ

Attachments

• original spindle on 1988 hardrock 124mm (800x600).jpg
    original spindle on 1988 hardrock 124mm (800x600).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 607
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

What was the chain line like when that bottom bracket was fitted?

For a mountain bike it should typically be 47.5 to 50mm, so if with the old BB fitted it was on the wide side, you could go a bit shorter, or vice versa: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

You can also go a mm or two outside the ideal if necessary, for example, if you need to for the pedal end of the crank to miss the chainstay.

Re: Re:

xerxes":3d43t0xz said:
What was the chain line like when that bottom bracket was fitted?.
no idea about that really.......

the bike was traded to a buddy way back in 1995 with a bent fork and a broken rear derailleur and the chain was put on one cog.......he stripped it / located a lbs take off 1" steerer fork, painted it and hung it up in his garage, after a while, he stopped biking and I got all of his mtb stuff-park work stand etc, plus the frame and fork, as I had some leftover shimano stx parts from upgrading my first mtb, so I built it up for my dad, and now I have been rummaging through the old stash and found the crankset, thought I would fit it back on,.

yes, sheldons site is a boon, but no real listing for the sugino VP2 and I found another web site that mentions 121 mm for the sugino VP but also no VP2 ........I might try the cheapo Chinese BB and if it turns out to be correct look for a better quality in that size.

hamster":1faljyvw said:
122.5 is a common size and you won't notice the difference.

I was wondering about that, and I believe I have a 122.5 for a Kona project [M730 crankset] that I could fit up to see if it works......

thanks much

Re:

Can you not quickly re-fit the BB you have? You don't need to worry about greasing the bearings etc., just bung it in, nip it up and fit the drive side crank to take the chain line measurement.

Re: Re:

xerxes":22ai44g7 said:
Can you not quickly re-fit the BB you have? You don't need to worry about greasing the bearings etc., just bung it in, nip it up and fit the drive side crank to take the chain line measurement.

one of the bearing sets is missing from the old one

Back