GT Zaskar LE Problems

Sabz__

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I'm quite new to RetroBike and mountain biking in general. I recently fell off my bike and thought of it as a minor incident but recently my bike is unusable due to the handlebar being able to rotate and the ability for it to tilt which is very noticeable when standing up and cycling. The bike is a GT Zaskar LE(1994 I think), and I was wondering if someone here could assist me in finding the same or similar products. I'm looking to replace the entire handlebar area, including grips and barends as they are all worn and a bent piece of metal has caused the handlebar, as shown in the middle pictures below, to become too loose to ride the bike.

Local bike shops are recommending buying new parts, but I'd prefer to stay with something similar to what I currently have. I've included some extra photos and am debating replacing the rear cassette, chain, front crankset and the frame with priority going to replacing the elastometers. I'm only 15 and made the mistake of choosing a 20+ year old bike as a daily hooligan sort bike, but despite having to get money for new parts every few months I have never really enjoyed cycling as much as on this bike.
As well as this, I've been suffering from a noise when pedalling. This doesn't happen when I flip the bike and pedal with my hands, it only happens when I'm cycling. It's not a physically noticeable problem, it's only the noise made that I can notice. It occurs only when pedalling with my feet. I'm going to try a few possible solutions tomorrow.
DSC07207.jpg

DSC07208.jpg

DSC07209.jpg

DSC07210.jpg

DSC07211.jpg

DSC07216.jpg

DSC07217.jpg

You need to figure out the stem quill diameter, in order to source the replacement.

I've got GT handlebars, some bar ends and probably grips too, not sure of the stem though.

Is your chain clean and lubed?

P.S. If you've got a complete XTR groupset on the bike, don't just go replacing it with some new cheapo crap parts!

It would be good if you could post a few photos of the complete bike as well :cool:.

Hi,
I'll PM you regarding those parts. I'm currently hoping I could find something similar. I'll look for some more pictures tomorrow, but here is the bike when it was working. I'm afraid I had to cheap out on the cassette and chain but if I have enough left after fixing the bar I'll be buying a M900 cassette and chain. I hope to get everything done(including new frame) by next year as well.
Here are some pictures back to when the bike had a full XTR Groupset.
20160110_134410.jpg

20160110_134434.jpg

Nice bike, try and keep it that way.

To solve the bar issue it looks like you just need a new quill stem. Place a wanted ad on here and I'm sure you'll find what you need as there are plenty of people on the forum happy to help out fellow enthusiasts.

What do you want to replace the chainset? Xtr m900 is about as good as it gets for the era, maybe you just need to replace the chain rings if they are worn, and maybe not all of them?

Changing a cassette, chain and rings is often a good idea and best done at the same time, as fitting a new chain only will potentially cause issues and it will get worn much more quickly by the other worn parts it's working with.

If you aren't fussed about finding xtr m900 replacements you'll be looking at 110 bcd chain rings for the outer and middle. Plenty of modern options out there as this is modern road compact standard. Spa cyckes do some very good own brand rings imho.

I did recently find an m900 cassette I forgot I had, but again, if you don't mind modern stuff, plenty of 8 speed options out there.

As for the noise you mention, could be rough to trace but maybe a worn bottom bracket bearing, which might explain why when using your hand it isn't audible as you aren't using the sane weight as when riding. That said, it could be something else entirely as noise does transfer through parts/frame making it difficult to isolate.

Good luck in finding the bits you need, and getting the bike sorted. If you want an m900 cassette in the future, do me a line.

I think I have one of those stems, albeit in tatty condition- I'll have a look if you like?

Yeah great bike looks like a 1992.
It would be a shame to replace a lot of the parts on it (bars and stem, yeah go for it) but as other have said, the XTR bits are super nice. IF you have to maybe a good idea to hang onto the, if you replace them. Then one day you in the future you could build it back up.

Just a question/tip, do you know how to do up the quick releases on the wheels and seat? Just that the one for the seatpost isnt done up right. If not, look up how to on youtube.

T'boo Ted":g97q14b8 said:
Yeah great bike looks like a 1992.
It would be a shame to replace a lot of the parts on it (bars and stem, yeah go for it) but as other have said, the XTR bits are super nice. IF you have to maybe a good idea to hang onto the, if you replace them. Then one day you in the future you could build it back up.

Just a question/tip, do you know how to do up the quick releases on the wheels and seat? Just that the one for the seatpost isnt done up right. If not, look up how to on youtube.
Ah, thanks for that information. I'll check with the serial number later. I'm planning on buying a XTR Cassette and some new chain rings in the future. I just think I'd have to cheap out on a chain as I ride a decent amount of kms a day and can't afford to replace them that often. I had to leave the quick release on the two pictures on the seat as the seat was ripped after a fall and changing it was a headache as it had practically glued itself and was impossible to move further. I have a bit of problems with the rear one is quite hard as my fix for a broken rear derailleur hanger is an emergency hanger.

Back