Helmet insect mesh...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

In the last couple of months I have had 2 wasp/bee's come through the vents at the front of my helmet and sting my balding noggin! My kids helmet has mesh over the front vents...why don't more adult helmet companies do the same! My current lid is only a few months old so I don't really want to buy another with insect mesh and the selection is pretty limited anyway. Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution? My best thought is to stretch some tights over the whole helmet, but that will look pretty shite...any ideas?

Doug

'80's style helmet covers.
Protect from insects and look retro in one fell swoop. :cool:

I got mine on ebay a couple of years back for notalottamoney!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Is the helmet yellow, are you lathering your bald bonce in suncream?

Never had this happen , mine is dark blue and red met helmet.

Yellow attracts insects as well as odd smells, it could be the brut aftershave youre using?.

Not sure what to suggest other than fitting mesh on outside, inside would be next to your scalp so not much of a barrier against stinging insects.

Or do nothing as you could just be unlucky, if it continues then there must be a reason why theyre attracted to you.

Re: Re:

wookiee":1nzhe0w9 said:
PVA glue? Was it strong enough?

Well it kep this lot on mine! :D

0fcf8a4a1f64807db420f76e122549ca_zpsdkyegzrd.jpg

Re:

How about a cycling cap or bandana under your helmet Doug?

Also means the pads last longer, less sweat knackering them

You could get some of that chrome mesh that the 'yoof' staple to the grills and bumpers of their cars that is apparently supposed to look cool and make them go faster. May even make you go faster too?

Re:

Thanks for the replies guys!

- Jason...I am sure I would be arrested riding clown style, but thanks for the offer!

- 02gf74...I dont wear suncream so my bonce is often red (perhaps thats attracting the stinging bastards?) My helmet is black/grey with a bit of neon orange, a Fox Flux. Both times it was at speed so I am not sure they are becoming attracted to my appearance, or musky wookie funk!

- Mike...I had thought about that but heard that the bastards can still sting you through it! Also I am a sweaty git too does it not get hotter wearing one?

- Ian......mmm yeah but I don't want to add anything that may end up killing me in a crash...that would be too ironic for a lid!

Back