Anyone tried 24 inch wheels in a 26 inch frame?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I know the brakes will be an issue but is there a way around this or is it just not feasible without frame modification or a disc specific frame (which the 93 clockwork isnt)?

No idea, never had the pleasure of either.

Just mulling over the feasibility in case I can't make the clockwork 'small' enough.

Good point. Currently has 175 cranks but was going to swap for 170. Will this be enough?

It's all theoretical at the moment as I hope I don't have to. I think I'm more inclined to give up and get a ladies bike .

I do seem to recall seeing some sort of brake booster that changes the position of the bosses.

Yes, as you suggest I went with disc brakes. Made a small frame a tad smaller for my lad so he could have a 'proper' bike, then when he grows a bit taller we up the wheels to 26", only makes a little difference in truth but seems to work fine.

Hadn't considered the shorter cranks thing.... will look into that.

Re:

A while ago a mate ran 24s on his FSR. The way he had it set up, it was the best little full suss DJ/street bike I've ever ridden

Cane Creek Direct Curve V brakes have a lot of pad adjustment and I've managed to use them successfully on a 26er with 24" wheels in the past - I've also used a bog-standard basic bolt-on deep drop caliper brake on a retro Orange alu frame. I'd echo the thoughts above about short cranks though - I used to run 24" wheels and 24" BMX forks - super-low BB meant that pedalling around corners was not an option :LOL:

Re:

Maguras don't work with the mounts 'upside down'. I've tried and no dice.
What you can do is to use (or make) an adapter plate to move them into the right position. Time consuming, or expensive (relatively).

Another brake option is Pauls Motolite copies - but then there's 165 cranks (170's are too long for sensible use) so is the cost worthwhile compared to how much cheap frames cost these days?

Back