Help choosing the thumb shifter (and the derailleur also)

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,
I'm having some issues with the gears on my Specialized Hardrock (1991, I think...).

I'm not really an expert when it comes to thumb shifters as I've never broke one. Until now. Luck runs out, I suppose.

The bike has 7 speeds, so I suppose I just need any thumbshifter made for a 7 speed cassette?

I eyed this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SL-MY ... hchsi5wv0Q

Would it do?

Cheers!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It would likely 'do' but you will be able to find the original one I would have thought. What thumb shifters was it running?

Re:

The brand is Suntour, but I don't remember the exact model.

At the moment I would go for the cheapest working solution, given that I use the bike everyday for commuting.

However I am now thinking, given that I probably need to change the derailleur too, should I buy them paired?

You don't need them paired. Any seven or eight speed rear mech should work. Why not post a wanted ad on here for the same rear mech and shifter, you'll likely be surprised how quick you may get a response with the correct bits. We are all hoarders ;)

Re:

No harm in trying, I suppose :D

What about the actuation ratio? Shouldn't I choose the derailleur with the correct ratio to space between speed? (assuming I don't find the original bits)

Re: Re:

Ugo51":e0li4zel said:
No harm in trying, I suppose :D

What about the actuation ratio? Shouldn't I choose the derailleur with the correct ratio to space between speed? (assuming I don't find the original bits)

It's the shifter that dictates this, I'd be inclined to use Suntour with Suntour and Shimano with Shimano but you can mix and match.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
They should work fine although they will look nasty nasty nasty :(

I know this seems like an odd route but check out eBay item number 322174304361, that mech will clean up nicely and work a treat, I recently restored a 88 Muddy Fox courier with that group set including those thumb shifters. Really nice bits of kit :)

Well that rear mech will work okay as long as you don't give it much abuse but as Tim quite rightly said that mech will clean up nicely and work a treat, I recently restored a 89 Muddy Fox courier with that group set including those thumb shifters. Really nice bits of kit .

@ Tim ,what 89 Muddy Fox courier and why haven't i seen it yet ? :shock: ..

Back