Alpinestars al-mega headset bearings

n12ksb

Retro Newbie
Hi all I'm trying to reassemble a bike for someone.
It's an alpinestars al-mega from 1992 i am told.
The headset bearings need replacing.

Can anyone help as to what bearings I need to purchase for this bike?

Many Thanks
Nick

Re:

Hi and welcome to retro bike

The headset will most likely be inch and a quarter which went out of fashion along time ago but you've come to the right place for help, as for the bearings it all depends on the brand of headset fitted....can you post a picture ?

The chances are it will need replacing if the bearing are shot.

There's all of love for Alpinestars on here and alot more folk more knowledgeable about them than me, that said headsets are universal across all brands.

All the best

Nick

Brilliant, thanks all.
Its a bike I'm servicing for a friend of my dad's, unfortunately it's not quite what I'm used to with the old headset and cantilever brakes etc..
All good practice though!

I'll add some pics when its done, I'm literally just getting it up and running not a restore as such.

Cheers

Re:

If its crack free it's actually highly desirable, so if your doing it up for the old boy to ride to the allotments and hang bags of onions off on the way home it would a crying shame.

Regan_ev on here would have to send his Welsh posse round in the dead of night to liberate it :D

Post some pic up soon.

That didn't work haha
It's a bike he had from new I believe and wants to get it running again.
I will be replacing all the cables, pads,tubes and tyres so i am hoping the front and rear mech are in good order.

Are these frames prone to cracking then?

I don't know much about the alpinestars mtb but Im guessing he knows there is a following as hes wanting to spend the money on parts and getting it in working order.

Thanks again

Hello Nick and welcome to RB!
Spud is spot on with all he's said above apart from me wanting to liberate it haha! (I have the four in my signature below plus another frame in the garage and my eye on ANOTHER one at the moment, I'm already in need of help for my addiction :LOL:)
The headset is not uniquely Alpinestars-specific, the 1990-1993 models are all 1 ¼" 'evolution' size. High-end Al Mega XTR & XT models used Tange headsets, DX and Cro Megas used cheaper YST ones.

If the cups are okay just replace the bearings with whatever size are in there and a good dollop of grease and off you go. If on the other hand the races/cups are knackered, I'd recommend buying the following. I've bought two for use on a couple of mine and they're super quality and a very decent price. I've bought loads of other stuff from that seller and he usually takes lower prices if offered and delivery is always fairly quick, from Poland. I also add that decent 1 ¼" threaded headsets, New Old Stock (NOS) are hard to find!

Good luck with your restoration I look forward to some pics. :cool:

1 ¼" Tange Headset on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281899279354

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Oh and further to the crack issues, the early Al Mega 1991 models were prone to cracking at the headtube/downtube area. Check underneath for cracks. Later 1991 models has a reinforcement gusset added to the headtube, which all subsequent 1992 and 1993 models had. They also had weaknesses, as did Cro Megas, around the bottoms brackets and front derailleur hangers.

Brilliant, thanks very much for the help.
I'll certainly add some photos when its all up and running.

Any ideas on a value for these?
Thanks

Back