Sunn Exact Ti stuck seatpost

andyparle

Retro Guru
Ive recently picked up a sunn exact ti (1997). the problem is that the seatpost is stuck in the frame, its an ameoba titanium post but it looks like the last owner has used an aluminium shim between them. he has tried forcing the seat tube open and made a bit of a hash of it and also snapped off the seatpost lever spindle in the frame. Ive tried wd40 and brute force, but no joy. with the frame and post being ti and an aluminium shim between them im worried that it has bonded to both parts. Any advice? Ill try and post some photos in a bit.

Re:

Don't know titanium but I'd have thought penetrating oil would help. Wd40 won't do a thing.

Stick up a pic

dont know if it works but its worth a try.if you have bottle bosses on the seat tube part of the frame
remove one of bolts and plug up the seat post in question,flip the bike over and fill with coca cola through the bolt hole.leave the bike upside down a couple of days.

like i say dont know if it works but its worth a try you never know

Knowing just how corrosive and nasty coca cola is, this does sound like it might work! Cant do any harm to give it a go. Cheers

Re:

Coke will dissolve the bond. Same as penetrating oil. Penetrating oil is thicker so I would use that personally. Does ti melt with caustic soda? If not that's your next easy step

Re:

Oh no,

That's to help you come to terms with selling it to me at a bargain price! :LOL:

Sunns are greeeaaaat!

Got any pics?

Mike muz 67. I have a feeling it might be getting sold once I sort out the seat post as I've just starting building up an intense 5.5 as well as re-building my sunn bmix. One must go!

Latest posts

Back