Proflex 750 / 950 Elastomer questions

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have built up a Proflex 950, but the elastomers were seized. So I have used some replacements for the AL/CL forks that I bought by mistake.

Firstly how they are set up; is a spacer between the elastomers needed? And secondly I cut one of the elastomers down - is that ok or should I get the correct size elastomers?

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20160612_180209.jpg
    IMG_20160612_180209.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 611
Re:

Two years ago, I have bought just a tube of industrial PU elastomer for my Gary Fisher RS-1. But I didn't know exactly what hardness I had to choose. I took some 90 Shore (very firm) and seems to work fine on the Gary Fisher.

When I have found the Proflex 950, elastomers were missing but no the cups.
I cut the elastomer in correct size and the rear suspension seems to work.
The correct size is important for keeping the bike geometry.

Now, I saw some specific elastomer for sale on eBay. It's only one big elastomer but I don't know if it's working better or not than the original 2 elastomers. When Proflex only use 1 spring, it was an MCU one, with more travel than classic PU

Re:

I've think I cut it to the right length. I just screened the bolt in, measured the gap after the whole elastomer and added a mm or to so the length of the elastomer on the whole is the length of the bolt fully tightene. Should there be a rebound washer on the other side tucked up by the bolt head?

Re: Re:

mattbrown":1daqyzkz said:
Should there be a rebound washer on the other side tucked up by the bolt head?
I think a rebound washer is necessary (like the flexstem front) I forgot it on mine and there's a little "clac" in the rear, in some big shock…

Back