Show me your URT's

Re:

After today's ride:

c7e1e76923425e72524b0d0191e7f50d_zps9towibci.jpg

910f2fa725666e012202e8d077a1ec04_zpsmmueq6t5.jpg

Re:

So sexy...

I'm building a bike around a fork I'm getting and I've never had a URT and think it's about time I changed that. Not sure it will be anything as exotic as an Ibis, but my numbers may come up.

al.

Re:

I'd always assumed it only became a terrible design when the Next Big Thing happened in full suspension (whatever that was) Up until then it was perfectly acceptable 'cos we knew no better! ;)

firedfromthecircus":1w83rv5o said:
That's quite fancy, but is URT not a terrible design for a suspension bike?

Hello I'm al, have we met?

al :D

Well suspension passed me by until very recently, so I might be well out, but it seems there is no suspension between the rear wheel and the cranks. Only between the rear wheel and the saddle. So you only get the benefit if you are sitting down, and you are still not getting it at the cranks even when sitting. :?
I suppose it's good for pedalling efficiency.

firedfromthecircus":2hlyp3iw said:
it seems there is no suspension between the rear wheel and the cranks. Only between the rear wheel and the saddle. So you only get the benefit if you are sitting down, and you are still not getting it at the cranks even when sitting. :?
I suppose it's good for pedalling efficiency.

I was reading an old MBUK having seen many people say URT was awful and it turns out what you say above was exactly the point.

I was designed at a time when many were still on hard tails or rigid and were reluctant to move across to full suss. URT was lighter than many of the FS designs of the era and less active so more palatable to those happy with no suspension.

firedfromthecircus":1dr6tlxe said:
al":1dr6tlxe said:
firedfromthecircus":1dr6tlxe said:
That's quite fancy, but is URT not a terrible design for a suspension bike?

Hello I'm al, have we met?

al :D

I don't think so.
I've not been here long!

Maybe when you get to know me you'll understand.

al.

Back