Tell me about the saracen race elite e-stay

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just acquired one for a project. The plan is to have it painted white and let my kids add a bit of colour to it before a final coat.

I don't know much about the frame and would like to know a bit more, get some decals made etc.

I read somewhere they were the same frame as a higher end e-stay so may go down that route for decals (or may leave naked depending on the art work).

What were the frames made of? Anything to watch out for?

I'll add a thread at some point for the build as I'm sure I'll have various questions and to show progress, but for now just after frame info and anything else interesting about it.

Cheers

Cheers for the link. Seems to suggest the tubing isn't true temper but the stories about the racer elite being a previous years frame rebadged may make it difficult to confirm what it is made of. Hopefully I'll find out one way or another. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things, just interested to know what I have.

Re:

Wasn't there quite a few 92 Kili X's? Seem to remember that they all had different frame tubes from the average Tange up to the swanky stuff.

Also from memory the Race Elite was just old stock of the 92 lower end frames. Not a bad thing though.

Re:

The Race Elite is standard double butted tange tubing, the one I sold recently still had its tubing decal on.

It is a rebadged 92 Kili but as stated the Kili had different models using different grade tubing.

Saracen built the Race Elite with Altus groupsets and mostly Ritchey finishing kit and are well worth a groupset upgrade imo.

A friend of mine has a mint Race Elite for sale for £80 if anyone's interested.

Re: Re:

chrisv40":3f0oon44 said:
The Race Elite is standard double butted tange tubing, the one I sold recently still had its tubing decal on.

It is a rebadged 92 Kili but as stated the Kili had different models using different grade tubing.

Saracen built the Race Elite with Altus groupsets and mostly Ritchey finishing kit and are well worth a groupset upgrade imo.

A friend of mine has a mint Race Elite for sale for £80 if anyone's interested.
Cheers for that. Had I not just bought a frame I'd have been very interested in the one up for sale, though as mine is a project destined for a new paint job it would have been a shame to ruin such an original bike.

Mine is unlikely to be a period correct build anyway.

Anyone know the seat post size? I was surprised to pop in a 29.4 post and it fitted like a glove?

I thought it was going to be something like 30.9 but that was too big. Happened to have an x-lite post on the workbench in 29.4 and it fitted in nicely with no side/side play. Not clamped it up or anything yet, but seems right. Would be good to know if it is, or if there are a few mm more it needs (lets hope not as the x-lite post kind of suits my plans, or at least I would not have thought of using it until now).

Back