New into the forum - Forks question

Waxman

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

New into the forum as have an early (unsure of year) Diamondback Topanga.

I know its not the coolest bike out there but its pretty functional and I've had it since 1997 from whence I bought it from the police property auctions on ebay that they used to do.

Not shown it any love - its just been used. - However I want to bring it back out of the cellar and show it a bit of tlc.

One of the things is it has rigid forks, I'd like to go for a suspension style upgrade and my tech on bike language I'll confess to be poor.

From some of you guys with far superior knowledge - are the forkset threaded or non threaded and what is the best height range for suspension forks ?. - It has the shimano 'V' brake setup as well which I'd like to keep, so new forks will need to be 'V' compatible

Running the standard 26" rims and I've just ordered some nobbly nics 2.1 DC for it.

Thx in advance

J

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":25zxfikv said:
Welcome! Can't really tell from the info given but stick a picture up and we can help! :D

Thank you

2n8y1oh.jpg

w7nfh3.jpg

Re:

Well that's a threaded headset and looks to be 1". Travel wise you want to be looking at early 90's short travel forks such as Pace RC35, Manitou 1,2 or 3, Rockshox Mag 20, 21, Quadra 10 or 21 or the like. All of these come up regularly in the for sale section.

If you want to use your current headset and stem then you'll need to remove your fork and measure the current steer tube. Another option would be to replace the headset with a threadless system which will make finding the correct steer tube easier but mean replacing the headset and stem too. :D

Thank you.

Makes perfect sense. - Time for a fork stripdown and measuring tape

Thx

J

Back