Marin Palisades Trail 1992 refurb: forks, finish, decals?

stuartmp

Retro Newbie
I've read previous posts on this subject but they are all a bit out of date now.

I have a 92 Marin Palisades, owned by me since new. It is a great bike - lovely frame - but it is getting a bit chipped and I would like to refurbish it. Although the lime green and black is a classic look, I love the appearance of the home-sprayed white and black bike in the thread "1994 Palisades Trail - change of direction" and think that I'll get my bike stripped and resprayed.

I fitted a RockShox fork when the bike was a couple of years old and got rid of the original fork but the suspension is getting a bit past it now and I would like to fit a rigid fork again. Getting a 1" steerer fork is looking like being tricky - I would be grateful for any suggestions about what's good and what's not, where to source one or how to work round this. Ideally I'd like threadless and with a disc mount but I know that that is likely to be impossible so any real world advice appreciated - anything of decent quality would do.

Any advice on enamel vs powdercoating, please? Might depend on the answer to my next question!

Also I'm trying to find somebody to make replica Marin decals and frame badges - esp. the bear one on the seatpost - so would welcome pointers, please.

Thanks
SP

Re:

You will need 1.1/8" forks. Despite the rockstar decal, they're nowt special, so any similar-looking fork will do with 390mm axle to crown measurement.

For me, it deserves a sympathetic remake. These 2 tone models are hard to get in non-scruffy presentation. Powdercoat is tricky to create the clean lines of the paintwork. built up cellulose and then satin lacquered would be quite easy. Flourescent colour are best done by the pro's as 'off the shelf tins' are never quite bright enough.

Decals ought not be too difficult if you contact Gil_m, a member on here that has a stack of decals already on file. He will post with care too.

If you must have good brakes and stuff, get a newer bike rather than killing an honest bike. i will never forgive you! lol. ;)

mine.

There are a couple 'experts' on here that can refurbish your Rockshox sus fork to an as-good-as-new condition, if you really want to keep them going ...

Thanks for the replies.

Decals sorted but I'm still looking for a rigid fork of reasonable quality.

SP

Latest posts

Back