Straddle wire & hangers

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Normally use stainless cables but can't seem to find stainless canti straddle wires. Are they available?

Tell me if I'm being too fussy.

Also, welcome people's thoughts re hangers - brakes are BR-AT50. In two minds between keeping the original, basic Shimano hangers or swapping for something nicer.

Maybe I should have just googled "stainless straddle wire". Just did and you can get Clarks ones everywhere... was looking on eBay and couldn't find it!

Silly me...

Re:

Since converting to Vs, I've got a pile of unused SS straddles and hangers. Should be able to find them in quite a few places still and online (Chainreation, Wiggle, On-One, Spa Cycles and others. If you can get down to Condor Cycles in central Londonshire, they stock old style brakes spares. Meanwhile, how about some Dia or Gran Compe hangers like these? http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/ ... ddle-1.jpg

Attachments

• DC Roller Straddle-1.jpg
    DC Roller Straddle-1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 903
Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":1dvwa0hf said:
Since converting to Vs, I've got a pile of unused SS straddles and hangers. Should be able to find them in quite a few places still and online (Chainreation, Wiggle, On-One, Spa Cycles and others. If you can get down to Condor Cycles in central Londonshire, they stock old style brakes spares. Meanwhile, how about some Dia or Gran Compe hangers like these? http://www.freshtripe.co.uk/Freshtripe/ ... ddle-1.jpg

Managed to find some stainless straddle wires online. Just needed to look harder... Thanks though. Have bought some new (cartridge) pads too. Those hangers are really nice, very tempting although just one is more expensive than the bike was! I think I'd better sleep on that one. :|

groovyblueshed":18c4gpff said:
how about these Onza Chill Pills here on RB? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=349691

I don't think they're "retro" enough for my 1985 Falcon... :)

Will probably stick with the stock hangers. The dia compe ones are lovely but at the end of the day probably no real benefit other than adding a bit of bling - I think better to put the £30 toward a nice pair of tyres, or a night out... actually if anything the cheap tektro/acor cast alloy ones are probably the best bet, but I think visually I prefer the standard Shimano pressed alloy jobs.

These arrived from eBay, £3.50 well spent I'd say. They are much thicker than the originals which can't be a bad thing, and stainless too. Somehow I feel better about them knowing they are old stock from bitd...

27383915642_7d5e75a52c_b.jpg

Re:

Yep, the Chill Pills are way too new then. Those straddles look the retro business – simple, robust and good value. Sound like you've got your priorities sorted too – hard choice between the night out or decent tyres...

groovyblueshed":3qlg4k8v said:
Yep, the Chill Pills are way too new then. Those straddles look the retro business – simple, robust and good value. Sound like you've got your priorities sorted too – hard choice between the night out or decent tyres...
:D

Yeah, or I could just get some cheap tyres and have some beers and a takeaway indoors...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231833493387

Keep looking at these. Look pretty period authentic for a "mid range" 80s bike. I know they're not going to be the last word in tyre performance, but I wonder how bad they are. Sometimes mega-budget tyres like this are actually fine, sometimes they're awful. Seems to depends a lot on the quality of rubber they use... Realistically I'm not going to be hitting the trails very hard, more a mix of street and unpaved cycle paths. And these are probably better than Panaracer Smoke/Dart for street use...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Not seen Duro tyres before – they're based in the US and seem to be a general manufacturer of tyres products there. I suppose at that price, they would be OK for the amber wall look and suit your riding requirements.

Myself, I'd probably hold out and save up a bit more for "the ones" or some classic ambers retros. However, having spent a while Sunday looking through RB's classified sales section for bits, I was rather underwhelmed by the prices some were asking for what was actually knackered old tat.

I'm currently running a pair of Onza Canis XC 2.0s (black & about £19 each from Evans the bike). Unfortunately, the lovely amber wall 2.25 versions are just too fat for my bike's frame.

groovyblueshed":1nl3i76k said:
Not seen Duro tyres before – they're based in the US and seem to be a general manufacturer of tyres products there. I suppose at that price, they would be OK for the amber wall look and suit your riding requirements.

Myself, I'd probably hold out and save up a bit more for "the ones" or some classic ambers retros. However, having spent a while Sunday looking through RB's classified sales section for bits, I was rather underwhelmed by the prices some were asking for what was actually knackered old tat.

I'm currently running a pair of Onza Canis XC 2.0s (black & about £19 each from Evans the bike). Unfortunately, the lovely amber wall 2.25 versions are just too fat for my bike's frame.

Yep, I must admit that I love the way the bike looks and am keen to keep amber walls on it for that very shallow reason...truth is there just isn't much out there new, and I'm reluctant to spend proper money on 20 year old tyres. Actually, no, the truth is I want new rubber!

Hadn't come across the Onzas before so thanks for that. Unfortunately it looks like the Canis aren't available in skinwall now, although I did find this good deal on some Ibex skinwalls...

http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/onza-t ... 2x12502956

Anyway, I've got a pair of practically unridden (black) Michelin Country Cross tyres at the workshop... seems a shame to waste them so I might stick them on for the time being and see how I feel about knobbly and black.

Back