Judy FSX +22yrs old needs help or replacement

atjurhs

Retro Newbie
hey guys about 22 years ago I bought my sweetheart Specialized Team S-Works FSR. It was designed by Horst Lietner, saw the original frame hanging up at the AMP Research's shop in Laguna CA. As I know the story, Horst sold the design to Specialized and the Team S-Works FSR 4-bar link was born, and I have one. anyway, she's been a faithful joyful ride every ride thru many years across many trails throughout the US, we gained our iron legs together, no adultery here, I won't ride another!

about 7 years ago I had to replace her rear shock, now she needs a new front fork, a Judy FSX, or a rebuild kit (which I don't know how to do but would learn), or maybe a "drop-in" Englund Air Cartridge if they are reliable?

I'm not after anything super high-speed competitive, my racing days are gone, but I still enjoy technical singletracks. I'm looking to spend $150 to $250 if I can get a high quality fork for that. I'd think I should be able to get something high quality for that?

as I said the current fork (original to the bike) is an FSX CF/aluminum Rockshox Judy I think it has 80mm of travel maybe only 63mm, not sure. It has a 1 and 1/8" steer tube, that has at least 7.5 inches length, but a little more would be good, and my wheels are the standard 26" wheel. I run V-Brakes, so a new fork doesn't need to have disc brake mounting stuff.

I need to get pointed in the right direction, what are my options?

thanks for whatever help you can give!

Todd

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,798
  • FullSizeRender2.jpg
    FullSizeRender2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,799
Howdy, nice story. There are occasional nos shox that come up on ebay, oreven on this forum from time to time, with sometimes the prices even being fairly reasonable. With a bit of patience and persistence, you should be able to find something suitable. or ... there is a member named 'Wadsy' who specializes in re-building Rockshox forks ... you might wanna drop hima line, to see if he can't help you out (he's a super straight-up, decent guy!) ...

cheers

He posts in all kinds of threads, just surf around and you'll find him, and then you can hit his P/M (private message) button and send him a 'hello'. Or ... you can find the 'member search' link above, and simply type in his handle 'Wadsy' (his real name is Martin) ... and a link to his info should pop up.

Incidentally, he's rebuilt/reconditioned many R/shox forks for other members, and his finished work is generally quite stunning - exquisite work!

Re:

Hi Todd. Glad to see you found your way over from STW :cool:

If you are happy with the performance of your forks you should be able to get them serviced and good as new. Other wise I'd be looking out for some 80mm forks from Fox, Pace or Rockshox as they all used to do decent forks for V's. If you ask in the wanted sections on this form someone will offer you something.

As mentioned on the other site, if you don't keep your old forks they'll be a que of people wanting to buy them.

Search for Judy rebuilds. The early Judys (95 model year with screwed on brake bridge) have the same "insides" as the fsx you have.

To make the decision whether to rebuild this fork or not consider to take it apart and check the stantions for wear, corrosion and pitting. If those are ok, you can service the forks no problem. You would need new bushes, new seals for the dampener cartridge plus fork oil (or a new aluminium cartridge altogether if yours is made from plastic), maybe new elastomeres or springs.

To find a new, modern fork that fits the frame might be difficult. Those newish forks usually have too much build height.

If you like to fiddle around with tech stuff, you might find some inspiration in my FSR build: LINK. I have converted the FSX to the more modern hydracoil system.

There's a set of new englund air internals on ebay at the moment and in the states as well. These are a great upgrade IMHO, have a set on my own fsx. Not cheap but worth it.

If there's nothing wrong with your forks and they just need a service, it's pretty easy to do the basics. Damper is a bit more tricky but doable if it's the hard metal body version. There are a few threads on here with instructions. You could upgrade the wiper seals with enduro ones while you were at it.

Good luck.

Re:

Just out of interest, whats wrong with them?
Also you have a "Speed Springs" decal on one fork leg, do they have springs?
They may just need new grease which is an easy job.
As said before have a look on here for rebuild threads.

to answer Gruff's question, when I am riding along (fork under some amount compression) and first pull-up to go over an obstacle, there's a big thud, as if the fork is extending all the way out. then on the way down she's her compression is squishy. I don't want to tighten that down too much because one of the plastic caps that screw into the top of the crown and holds things in place has the threads half way gone, so I'm expecting at anytime for it to blow out the top.

right now on eBay there are two possible Englund Air Cartridge options, although I'm a little leery of going that route just because there are a lot of "I don't knows" with that route.

the Englund Air kit itself item # 191879587214

and a rebulit fork with an Englund Air Cartridge installed item # 152105486869 I'm a little leery of a carbonfiber steer tube but then again, I could always use my current one if something goes wrong with it.

but if you guys think the Englund Air Cartridge is a good option then I'll go that route, as I would get to keep mine or have another FSX fork.

please tell me what you guys think about the Englund Air Cartridge option!

thanks!

Todd

You have to check your stantions first. Then you might decide to go for a whole new fork altogether ;)

Besides that: The Eglund kit is the best option available. Imho. Will get you rid of all technical problems you might have right now. Including the damaged cap. BUT excluding worn bushes and/or stantion tubes.
Does your fork show any play? If you engage the front brake while standing besides the bike, if you wiggle the bike front to back, do you feel any play in the front?

Back