Scrap forks ?

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
I probably know the answer but i have had these sid's knocking about for ages but never dared fit them because of the damage to the steerer , so are they toast ? would you use them ?

Cheers Paul

As above, id keep them on the wall or something, there will probably be a lot of lateral force through the forks whilst in use and the last thing you want is the steerer failing on you whilst going down a gnarly descent, would be bye bye teeth time for sure!

How did that happen? I've seen some damage to the top of tubes from Chris king headsets and the rubber ring but nothing like that, looks like someone removed the forks from the frame with an angle grinder.

I had a headset lower cup do something like that. Much less damage than that but eventually it would have kept chewing away at it.

It was from a semi-deep cup DH headset that mushroomed out(or in?) because it hit the step inside the headtube when installed. Poor measurement on my part.

ishaw":3mhyokux said:
How did that happen? I've seen some damage to the top of tubes from Chris king headsets and the rubber ring but nothing like that, looks like someone removed the forks from the frame with an angle grinder.
The forks came with a frame i bought ages ago , it looks headset related from the position of the damage , maybe ridden with it loose for a long time ?

Paul

Re:

Can't you simply locate a new crown/steerer tube replacement for it, to breathe new life into the forks again ... ?

i suppose it is possible to get it repaired but the initial strength will still be quite lacking so would be best suited to light rides or just hang it up as a reminder of what can happen if you don't look after your forks properly .

I've seen it from a very badly maintained bike, all the ick and grime from a massively over greased headset and many muddy rides gave a grinding paste between bottom cup and steerer (there is only about half a mm clearance anyway.) Just polished the steerer away.

Back