Tioga disc drive builder wanted :)

mfhxgram

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
anyone on the forum that can build tioga or sugino disc drive wheels? and would consider doing so?

Re:

the shop i used to run might beable to help, GA cycles in southampton 02380 636648, Gary the owner built a few back in the day and he is i would say the best wheel builder down this way. if you have everything he needs to do the job then he should be able to do it, having never had to build or true one up i don't know if they need any specific tools but he's your man for the job i'd say, i'd imagine it would not be a cheap labour rate though as i know they were time consuming to build.

if you do phone them, ask specifically for Gary, the other guys are to young to know what you are talking about! and mention the recommendation from here as he'll like the notoriety and it'll put him in a good mood just in case he hasn't managed to get a coffee down his neck!

hope that helps. :)

I had one built about five years ago by bad ass bikes in Bristol. The guy had done a few bitd so knew what he needed to do the job and did a good job, his name was Rob. Sent him all the bits and couple of weeks later it arrived back.

mfhxgram":3uzob61s said:
anyone on the forum that can build tioga or sugino disc drive wheels? and would consider doing so?

I've built them, its not an enjoyable experience, not complicated, just time consuming. I'd personally recommend replacing the tiny nuts & bolts that attach the central disk section to the hub, with longer bolts. just makes it a little easier.

whoever builds it, make sure they have the tension guide, as you dont tension disk drives like a standard spoked wheel
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... l.pdf.html

Perhaps tomorrow or maybe by next Wednesday I'll be able to recommend - or not! - the guy whom is currently in the process of building mine. :D

The OP of that auction seems to be a bit vague in his responses about the included hardware. You'll need the hub fixing nuts and bolts and ideally, the little wrench to ease the burden of installation. The air valve extensions are also convenient but you can get by without it. I have a high-res scan of the Sugino installation manual that I'm happy to email you if you PM me your address. See thread below for some images. Good luck!

kdvEbh.jpg

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=10

Smithjss70":3teqbroi said:
Jason what's in the bottom right of the pic, black thing in the packets? I don't recognise it and thought I had all the hardware, wrench and valve attachment :oops:
Perhaps it's just my eyes, or the fact it's Saturday evening and I'm on the second glass of Pinot :LOL:

Re:

Hi Regan

It's the Pinot. :) They are screws but the baggie iis casting a wine shadow making it like like something it's not. Hope all is well bud.

Cheers

Back