Tyres with a bit of grip.........................

Duxuk

Retro Guru
My bike currently has a Schwalbe Nobby Nic on the back. What a load of rubbish! The ancient IRC Mythos XC on the front vastly out performs it.
Is there a tyre to match the Mythos, available today?

Most of the schwalbes are quite sensitive to pressure and you also have to be careful with the version you buy.
The basic OE schwalbes are, almost without fail, utterly crap.

Anything one or two levels up the range will be far far better.
Unless you run them rock solid. I run Nics at about 2 bar.

Mythos was another one a bit like the fire XC IIRC, fairly good at everything, but not amazing at any one thing.

I was always a fan of the mythos back in the day, but then I like a lot of the old tyres then, but mythos were up there (mythos on front, wildgripper lite s on rear).
my latest bike came with schwalbes rocket rons...about the worst tyre I've used in many a year.
I have some conti race king, and they are excellent, easliy the best tyre I've used in, well ever I think, i have the 2.0 racesport version(F&R) and they are awesome...of course that is me, others may have a different view.
Also have some Hutchison...I think they are mythos too (will have to check) and they are pretty good as well

Which schwalbe though?

The basic ones are orrible, trailstar/racestar etc are actually really good, as long as you are using a vaguely suitable tyre (Furious Fred in Peaks slop won't be a good combination in any tyre compound!)

And if you had the basic raceking, without the black chilli, you'd have a tyre just like the OE rocket ron......

They were pacestar compound, EVO versions...whatever they were they were crap (as far as I know they are the best version they make), replaced with Conti X-kings (also racesport) which are far better.. but I still find my racekings to be the best... and yeah I bought the racesports cause I wasn't going to not get the good ones.

Re:

I'm well impressed with my Onza Canis XC 26er tyres. I got the 2.0 versions so they easily fit the old Clockwork frame and roll a bit quicker than something fatter. The tread doesn't look aggressive but it is grippy for most places and conditions, rolling quite fast too. So far, they seem robust enough with no punctures suffered in a year of use. I'll definitely get more of these. I might even get the 2.25 versions if they are actually narrower once fitted like the 2.0 versions are.

I've previously used Conti X-Kings (2.0) for use on general trail and in all weather conditions. In the summer months, I've run Conti Race Kings for fast commuting in dry conditions. In damp greasy conditions, the Race Kings are a bit sketchy round corners but in the dry they're blisteringly fast. All the Continentals I've used have given long reliable robust service.

I'll never run Schwalbes ever again, though – I really don't want spend my life regularly fixing flats daily...

Weird, i've had no issues with Schwalbe pacestar or trail star (most of what we run is one or the other). Except for the Nobby Nic being a) a bit fragile for the terrain round here and b) not really suited to the sort of terrain we have here either. Other places i've used them they've been fine.

Racekings were ok, but extremely sensitive to pressure. Slightly too low and they folded over in any corner, add 5 psi and they were bouncing all over the place.......... I've not bought any since.

Re:

I'm not but have been considering it. I'm running Mavic XM317 rims so would have to seal these some how and the ghetto options make running tubes look like the easier option...

I was running tubeless with the rocket rons, but tubes with everything else.
I just found with them, I didn't like them, personal thing really. They were fine in rocky stuff (but so many holes, so many, that had to seal themselves up), but mud or sand or anything, they were sketchy as.
Where as my racekings, while a bit slidey in the mud, still gave more confidence and everywhere else they were better...again personal feel.
but then I didn't like my schwable road tyres either. Not saying schwable make bad stuff, just that personally I don't like the feel they give, it doesn't inspire confidence in my riding (as poor as that is haha).

That's the thing, you didn't seem to like racekings, thats fine, I love them, Different things for different people.

Back