Posting bikes? help please

Ian916

Dirt Disciple
sorry if this is in the wrong place but could not see where else to post this question.... feel free to move admin peoples.

Looking for advice on who to use (in the UK) to send a boxed bike, - myhermes have a limit on box length 120cm which rules out most boxes that you can get....

What sort of cost?

Any help appreciated.

Re:

There is a thread all about shipping bikes & frames, I think it may be at the top of the 1998----> section of the forum.
I've used senditnow , parcelmonkey etc before, all depends on the value of the contents, weight, size etc.
Generally the smaller you can make it, the better.
Think I paid £20 to ship a bike (or thereabouts).

Cut the box down, I think getting under 120 wasn't a problem, it's a while since I posted a bike.
Last one I sent, probably April last year cost me 12 quid to send.
I almost always use parcel2go.

Agreed: both wheels off, fit wooden block between dropouts and screw in place with screws and big washers. Remove handlebars from stem (or stem from steerer); pad frame and pack in box with a wheel either side.

integerspin":38m4znfs said:
Cut the box down, I think getting under 120 wasn't a problem, it's a while since I posted a bike.
Last one I sent, probably April last year cost me 12 quid to send.
I almost always use parcel2go.

I think cost of posting went up since then but £12 all the sames is alot cheaper than i'd of expected ..

You won't get a complete bike sent with myhermes, unless they've very recently changed their size restrictions. 120cm might be the max length but there's a max combined L x W x D size too which you won't be able to meet. Paisley Freight are good for complete bikes

Re:

Outcome on this and a advice, - never send bikes via carrier. :(

Sent it via parcels2go who then directed me to UPS (insured), boxed up and packed it but unfortunately the cassette caused a couple of scratches on the down tube, and when it arrived the buyer did not want it because of those scratches. Returned it to me (again parcels2go and UPS) and once again it got damaged on the way back, - opened it up this afternoon and the seat tube now has a dent in it. Such a shame that a frame that has been in great condition for 22 years has now been damaged in this non riding way.

Anybody got experience of insurance claims through these guys?

Packing is everything. Have sent at least 20 bikes out and only had one issue and that had been sent abroad.

Zip tie everything so it can't move with material at all the contact points to prevent dents / scratches.

Have seen some damage from a fork lift but then you can't prepare for that

Re:

^^ exactly. I use pipe insulation foam from B&Q to cover the entire frame and forks, zip tie and gaffer tape it all up, remove the forks, brace all axles with plastic frame doodads, avail from your lbs. Double line the box with more cardboard and lastly infill with stuffing of your choice. If parts go with the frame, these are all covered in foam or bubble wrap, taped down with gaffer tape to the box, so they can't break free to damage things. Insure it for at least £500 and write fragile all over the box with a thanks and smiley face. Never had any issues and shipped lots of frames.

Yeah it takes a 1/2 hour to do all that and costs about £10 but it's worth it to avoid all the time consuming hastle if things go wrong. Had a muppet ship me a Klein once which got damaged. Pita to deal with.. I always video any box I receive as soon as I get it, once all over to record any possible external box damage, then in real time as I remove the frame and parts therein. It's irrefutable evidence which no dodgy seller or shipper can deny.

Latest posts

Back