Mavic Paris Dakar: longer axles to fit a 135mm dropout?

Boron

Old School Hero
I have a pair of Mavic Paris Dakar wheels that I was hoping to start using again after a long layoff; they really are a bombproof set of wheels. Front sits fine in the forks; took me a while to realise the rear is too narrow.

Research shows that it has a 126mm axle: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=282838 (picture taken from this thread).

My rear dropout is 135mm (actually measured, it is more like 136mm). So obviously too wide for a 126mm axle.

Is there any way of extending the axle on the rear hub in a way that won't require spending a lot of time and/or money sourcing old parts? Or is this too much of a bodge job? If there's no solution, I'll reluctantly be putting these up for sale.

Thanks for any replies!

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,196
Re:

Mavic 530 Gao Dakar Hubs. These were available in 126, 130 and 135mm axle lengths as below:

Mavic-4.jpg

I'm sure it's possible to interchange the axle length if you can find the correct axle and spacers.

Re:

I am trying to do the exact same thing with my 571 hubs.
I'll keep you posted if I figure something out.
I might try to get a new axle machined to the correct length also.

Thanks for all the responses. Cold setting the frame is out (it's aluminium) - even if it were steel I'd consider that a step too far for me. I mean they're a nice wheelset but not worth bending the frame for IMO!

The technical guide is interesting - couldn't find any tech guides for products earlier than 1997 on the Mavic site so good to know longer axles do actually exist. The problem will be tracking them down. Had a look at eBay.fr and a few places online but haven't come up with anything so far.

@shauno: that's some serious dedication but if you're likely to tackle that, I'd be interested in your results.

Otherwise a bit more scrabbling around but I suspect I might have to accept defeat on this one :-(

Just posting for future reference:

"Mavic uses the same front hub for four of their present and previous pair of hubs, the 501 & 571 road hubsets also the previous 531 mountain hubs, and the discontinued 577, mountain cassette hubset."
http://www.bikepro.com/products/hubs/hubs_mavic.html

• Part 50019
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mavic-Rear-hub- ... 3d183d0e22

• Part 9500030
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-501-Rea ... Swo3pWcp19
(Listing states "The axle can either be spaced at 126 mm, by leaving out the spacer, or 130 mm with the spacer included")

• Part 530033
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAVIC-WHEEL-H ... Sw1x1UNRd8
(Listing states "WE have been advised that this axle is to convert a 125 6/7 speed 500 series hub into a 130 6/7 speed hub by extending the left hand side by one of our customers")

At least 125mm -> 130mm is halfway there....!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You might find this helpful or not - but I had one of these rear hubs back in the day and the axles had a habit of snapping in my experience. I went through two in the space of six months and I wasn't anymore than 10 st or a particularly hard rider at the time.

Re:

Really surprised to hear that. Mine have been on for over 20yrs and still work flawlessly now. I don't think they've even been serviced and have covered thousands of miles in all conditions.
Mostly why I've never bothered trying anything else.

On and I love seeing that yellow label in the centre spinning round when I'm riding.

Got to say mine also were practically indestructible. Never gave me any hub problems or even went out of true as far as I can recall. Would be a shame to sell them.

Any axle hoarders out there...?

I have lot's of 135mm NIB Mavic axles for VTT/501/531/571 (tread-on) rear hubs. I sell them for 10 euros plus shipping.
The cleanest solution.

nabachsemavic.JPG

Back