Stupid question, but can a HG90 chain be extended easily?

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Due to my cack-handedness I've cut a HG90 chain too short then when attempting to add some links I've buckled another one :facepalm:

Is it a 'no-no' to cut these chains at a normal pin joint? I'm thinking I could potentially rescue it by adding a few links but then I'll need two split/connecting pins that'll be approx six links apart.

Feasible? I'm frankly useless at operating a chain tool and no idea how I buckled it when trying to rejoin it previously. Or it might've been when trying to remove a link, I can't remember, it's been a few months but I found it in the garage tonight and I hope to rescue it because it was NOS! :oops:

Tips/advice appreciated :)

Will add pics tomorrow.

ps. Don't ever let me near a spoke key/wrench, I'm even worse on those. :roll:

Re:

May be possible to use Sram powerlinks to join extra bits together. No tools needed for those Regan! ;)

Mike

It's not a no-no to cut Shimano chains at a normal pin joint. It is a no-no to cut them at the joint with the special connector pin. You can cut the chain and extend it with a longer bit of chain. Just have to use either the special joining pins or as Mike said, SRAM or KMC power links.

<looks at ground, shuffles feet>

I, er, um, have always joined shimano's chains without any special pins or powerlinks or anything like that.

<runs and hides in shed>

Meh, most of the time, if you look after your kit, don't mash the pedals and don't shift like a gibbon on LSD, a chain joined without the special pin or quick link will probably be ok. Yes, you are noticeably increasing the risk of a snappage and a bollock to top tube interface. But it's by no means guaranteed.

The thinner the chain, the larger the increase in risk.

And FWIW, it's easy and cheap to do it properly, so why wouldn't you?

Cheers guys. I've got enough links which are off-cuts from previous NOS HG90s to extend the one that's too short, so the links will all be the same plus I have loads of the proper Shimano connector pins so I think I'll give it a go.

And LGF, save me some room to hide in the shed with you if it all goes pear-shaped :oops:

Not had a Shimano chain snap on any rides yet. A badly joined KMC popped in the car park at Thetford in front of the RB crowd though.

Kell":2e0fhw5z said:
It's your dangly bits going pear shaped that you should be more worried about...
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I'm not planning on any more children so maybe it's less painful and more convenient than a vasectomy if I do have an encounter off balls-meet-stem :p

Back