Scott E stays. any good?

james1985

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just been talking to a customer and he has a 1993 Scott E stay Evolution.

He bought it new and has done around 100 miles. Its the Green>Blue>white colours and full XTR.
Its had tyres and cables replaced but other than that its original.
It cost £2000 back in 93.

I'm going for a look tonight after work.

Are these considered a good bike?
Any ideas on value? As neither of us have a clue on value.

Are you talking about the aluminium frame? Those were called Super Evolution, iirc. 93ish?

I'd say a full M900 groupo has a value on its own. The rest of it, as its a scott, is rather ... underrated. They were good bikes. Not cheap. But today a (naked) frame like this is hard to sell for more than 100 Euro (~80 GPB). That would be the price selling in the German forums...

For the whole bike I would assume 400 Euro as a max, if the condition is near perfect. I personally would not want to spend more than 300 Euro, but thats just me...

Edit:
This frame?
1045Scott_Evo_Alu.jpg

Agreed. Scott (along with Trek and Univega) are under-appreciated brands: fundamentally good bikes which seem to have little appeal.

OK, I went to see it.
Its condition is amazing and unmarked, its like new, chain cassette etc very shiney.
XT group though not XTR.
It has modern tyres and bar grips which really don't suit it.
It is bloody nice.
He wants £800 for it.
I think I would be afraid to use it though, so don't really want to spend that much on an ornament.

mtbdave":2k1r2q36 said:
£800 is far too much, it's not a so called "lusted after make" and probably cost £1500 new in 93

I agree, about the price at least, I'd be more inclined to pay nearer a quarter of the asking price Tbh. Not a "lusted after " bike or brand really, but quality all the same.

I think you made the right decision there.

I had the Steel version of that frame, rode nicely for a 91' bike...

800GBP is a joke. He either does not really want to sell, or he has no idea. The XT-XTR-confusion suggests the latter...

Back