Horizontal dropout frames?

Ghosty

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Well, the singlespeed bug has well and truly bitten me :) from the experience I have, I want to take on a nice high-end/lightweight s/s project - 26" and a retro frame with a suspension fork.

Are there any high-end steel frames out there with horizontal dropouts? Really I want to have something like a P7 or a Team Marin (nicely finished frames!), but these don't fit the bill - I don't want to use a chain tensioner if I can avoid it.

Re:

It's not strictly retro, but the later steel Voodoo Wanga frames are still V-brake compatible, and based on Kona geometry. Sliding dropouts though, not horizontal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301954336927

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
:shock: never seen anything like that before. I'm just looking for non-vertical/doable for singlespeed really - and not oversize tubing as I just don't like how it looks. Will keep that in mind!

Re:

I think in all honesty unless you can find a frame that's had track-ends welded on in place of the original dropouts then you'll struggle. Maybe some of the late '80s high end frames might have had the slightly forward facing dropouts but then you might need to drill/tap them for adjuster screws.

FWIW, I have one of those Voodoo Wangas, running rigid/SS but with discs, and I love it. Paint is a little fragile but a blast/powdercoat is only £40 or so if you're that way inclined.

As mentioned above it is unlikely to find something early 90s with horizontal dropouts and sus correction.
The 90s Stumpjumper as well as the 90/91 Bontrager OR have semi-horizontal dropouts but are'nt sus corrected.
I would say the "easiest" way would be to find a frame with replaced dropouts OR taking something newer like a DeKerf Singlespeed/Solitaire which have still V-Brake mounts in the first years (1999-2001).
Cheers,
Marco

Ah, I almost forgot: a good working solution for any frame can be the White Industries ENO Eccentric rear hub. I have used the hub both fixed and free and it works really well!

I tried a lot of Bikes as Singlespeeds.

The Ghostring sucked. ;)
img_2581-jpg.437562

So i was going the way caemis said "frames with replaceable dropouts".
img_3203-jpg.437907

img_3514-jpg.437909

And ended with a "modern" Singlespeed from 2003.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=241268
8096924955_9fb0448825_c.jpg

Other ideas would be:
* Klein Rascal, Attitude, Adroit
* Grove Innovations

Agree with many of the other guys here....as with your Tufftrax, the horizontal drop out was quite common on many 80s MTB frames but by 90/91 were rarely seen (if at all AFAIK)....

There was a guy on here recently I think selling a frame that had drop outs replaced with track ends...maybe a Kilauea? Let me find it....

EDIT :cool:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=344119&hilit=kilauea

What is now Surly brought out the Rat Rod 1x1 in about 1998, and it has been in constant production ever since AFAIK.

But unless you can find a custom frame or adapted one the best option as said above is to find a modern frame with sliding dropouts or track ends. Definitely the way ahead for running singlespeed.

Something like the Pace RC104 would be ideal.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,116
Back