A Giant or a Bianchi

GhostCity

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

After a few years riding mostly road bikes I'm into getting myself a mtb again. I have a forest nearby where I could see myself enjoying what nature has to offer on two wheels. I was seeking an old mtb, without suspension, with low maintenance - not the top of the line, but something decent with that retro look. The idea would be to do later the conversion to a dropbar with brifters. This is what I've found available in the market. I would like to know your opinions of the bike, or the groupset.

- Bianchi Peregrine circa '96 with Shimano STX

- Giant Terrago circa '94 with Shimano Altus A10

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures...

Many Thanks,
Cheers

Attachments

• 868559155_1_1000x700_bicicleta-italiana-bianchi-peregrine-amadora.jpg
    868559155_1_1000x700_bicicleta-italiana-bianchi-peregrine-amadora.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 935
  • 870790117_4_1000x700_bicicleta-giant-terrago-desporto.jpg
    870790117_4_1000x700_bicicleta-giant-terrago-desporto.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 935
Just forgot to put info of the frames. They're both steel frames. The Bianchi has a "Steel Carbon something" tubing and the Giant has "Tange".

Can't comment on the frames but I think the stx is a better groupset, so if the cost is similar I'd go for the bianchi.

Re:

I agree. There's only 10 eur difference between them. It makes more sense to choose the bianchi, although I really dig the funky paint on the giant. From what I've read the carbon steel tubing is just an average cromoly steel.

What about the size? The Bianchi looks smaller... If you are riding the wrong size, the groupset will not compensate the discomfort...

Yes, I agree. That's why I’m more into the bianchi as well. I’m 1m68 which puts me in a S/M position - depending geometry. The stem on the giant looks HUGE!

Back