Orange Aluminium Elite / RC35 MXCD Help

Dibob

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I would like a bit of help with fitting some new forks to one of my bikes, and indeed if the said forks will be suitable to some degree. Please bear in mind that I’m whilst I’m fairly handy around a bike, my LBS has always provided the finishing touches/service.

The bike in question in question is one I acquired a couple of years ago, a 92 Orange Aluminium Elite. Frame, forks, headset, stem etc. are all original. I've fitted some NOS parts such as the DC 987s, and politely upgraded various other bits such as middleburn rings and made the rest of the groupset an XT/XTR mix. The one thing I’ve been wanting to fit for some time is a pair of Pace forks (ironically I have a set of RC35Ks on a 93 Kona that is my daily ride), and this something that I need assistance/recommendations with.

I’ve recently received a pair of Pace RC35 MXCDs, 190mm 1 1/8, which I’d like to stick on the Elite. My first question is am I going to find the additional travel over what the earlier RC35s offer an issue, if not, what else do I need in terms of shims etc in order for the forks/steerer to work with the original headset, stem etc? Hopefully I’ve not missed off any critical info!

Many thanks!

The difference in travel is negligible! The important axle to crown distance should be the same too I would have thought.
Is the Alu Elite a 1" 1/8 headtube as well? If it is then it's a simple case of fitting them. If the RC35's don't have a crown race shim you'll need one of those so that the crown race fits snugly on the bottom of the steerer, you can get one from eBay.
If the current headset is for a threaded steerer then you'll need another headset and a stem to suit the "Ahead" style plain steerer on the RC35's, if it's already got an Aheadset then you're good to go .

Cheers for the reply Jimo, and good to know regarding the travel. As far as i'm aware with that part of the bike all original it has the standard 1"1/4 XT headset.

Re:

The forks will be fine travel wise. You will need a 'aheadset' type headset instead of threaded though as you'll need to get a reducer from 1 1/4 to 1 1/8th as you say. Can be done as I've done it in the past. :D

Re:

Thanks for the input brocklanders, I used yours and boy 'o' boy's builds as a benchmark to what I wanted to achieve! Is there much scope in keeping the original Alistalk stem with this one, I guess with it being original i'll have look at alternatives once I shim down to 1"1/8?

Back