opinions?

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I fancy a new retro ride...

Although I'm 38 most of my riding has been on roads rather than trails, but I'm planning a move out of the smoke and want to get out in the wild on two wheels.

If it makes any difference I'm a long-legged 6ft... generally I find myself feeling a bit stretched out on most bikes that should fit someone of my height, but then I'm used to a fairly upright touring/commuting setup. I'm also quite light (not much more than ten stone) which I think explains why I like frames with a bit of give, rather than really strong rigid ones.

It's got to be steel and I don't want to spend loads of money. Thinking something early 90s.

I lusted after an Orange Clockwork in my late teens, couldn't afford one. Been looking at Konas too... But there are some cheap Rockhoppers about these days. As it happens I have one set up as a tourer, but that's the way it's staying. I like it though...

I know it's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but hey. Anyone?

Just have a look around, on here, eBay, Gumtree etc.... When you see something you like the look of, buy it, plenty of '90-'95-ish frames/bikes for sale out there.
Personally I wouldn't get another Rockhopper if you already have one, but the Orange Clockwork is a good shout.

I think in an ideal world test riding a Kona would help you decide whether you wanted a Kona or Rockhopper as Kona's tend to feel a bit twitchy imho as i found out when i got a couple of them last year but i love em but if you wanted an Orange clockwork bitd then maybe that's a option worth considering so don't just settle for what your familiar with as you may just wish later on that you'd tried somthing different ..

Just to prove that a variety is a good thing i have ,
1992 Raleigh Ravine .
1989 FireMountain .
1988 MuddyFox in the pipe line .

I've only ridden the Ravine and FireMountain at present as the MF isn't quite yet acquired but will be but the FireMountain will be for club meets and the Ravine for just general getting about and maybe training and the fox well that will be a bit of a mix but mainly because i want it ..

Just under 6" with 32" legs here - I ride 18"s.

Konas are an odd thing - my '92 Fire Mountain with a flatbar was awful, it absolutely destroyed my back, however my '96 Cindy is a fantastic ride - I've got a riser bar on that.

Also, they aren't cheap - Lava Domes and up are pretty expensive (though you get what you pay for - my Cinder Cone was £150 and worth every penny), but Fire Mountains and the basic Hahanna are seemingly impossible to sell (but a lot are overpriced IMO) - they're heavy, and poorly specced as standard. Even with a load of XT and LX parts and Mavic XM719 rimmed wheels, mine was heavy and just 'meh'.

Try before you buy if at all possible!

Also, that Saracen's a decent entry level bike - Alivio/STX front chainrings are silly small though IMO.

Re:

Thanks guys. Welcome your comments

This is appealing:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=348114

I'm looking at 19" bikes. I'm just under 6' with 34" legs... probably need a shorter stem with whatever I buy if experience is anything to go by...

Like the look of Cinder Cones... but a lot of them seem to be Suntour equipped which is likely to be a bit of a pain when stuff wears out.

Also like Raleighs, had a Yukon and an Ozark before. The Yukon was great, actually. I like 501 tubing.

Quite up for a project though. Although a well looked after complete bike is usually better value.

Back