RockShox Type3 Spring into a Manitou2?

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I'd like to know more about this upgrade/replacement from anyone who's done it please.

I hadn't heard it mentioned until I saw a for sale advert just now for a pair of Manitou 2 with RS Type3 springs fitted (here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=347097)

I have NOS Manitou 2 which unfortunately has a knackered set of elastomers (even with no usage, sat in a box for over 23 years will do that, evidently) and I really don't fancy stumping up for replacements from susforkparts.net across the pond, so can the RS springs just go in as a drop-in replacements or are any special washers/bushings needed? Or any other jiggery-pokery?

:?:

I fitted some springs into a pace fork. As long as you can get the right spring lengths it should be OK. You won't have any damping though so the forks will be springy, elastomers had damping properties and didn't instantly try to return to their unsprung length. I didn't find this a huge issue with the pace forks but I went half elastomer, half sprung in each leg to try and counter this a bit.

Of course I forgot about damping :LOL: (idiot me!)

Thanks for the reply but I'm gonna can the idea. Looks like replacement elastomer stacks from sus forks will need to be ordered. :?

Did anyone ever try to retro-fit the damper from let's say a Manitou Mach5 to an older Manitou 4 or 3 ?(the 2 wont work because of the way the fork gets dis-assembled from the top and not from the bottom like the later models) the stanchion diameters are the same so in theory the damper unit should fit. You can pick up Mach5 forks for pretty cheap, take the damper unit out and transfer it to your much cooler looking Manitou 3 or 4 with a spring kit = cool looking fork with more modern internals/ no more melting elastomers.
I am planning into attempting this with a Manitou 4 fork I have (also have a Mach5 to donate internals).
There's always the Englund total air kit for Manitou if you can find one.

Re:

I fitted some "Mountain Springs" to my Manitou II's

Admittedly they were sold as such and with such a crappy travel that M2's have they work just fine and the Ozone CO2 has been ridden alot

I did replace the rebound elastomers to complete the setup.

Back