Why do all of them crack?

troje

Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
This one is mine, so I'm looking for another one.

P1020058.JPG

Then there is this one on Ebay. Already for ages. But with crack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-RD-1 ... Sw8-tWaZQa

Here's another one. It's NOS and even NIB, so you would expect it to be good. But it has a crack! how can it be NOS and NIB if there is a crack?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-NIB-Vin ... SwoBtW3zzG

And here. A groupset. Maybe that's an option. Wait a minute, have a good look at the rear mech. Is that what I think it is? Indeed. Cracked.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Campagn ... Swr41XIV13

Anyone who can help me out with one without a crack? And not too much silly money?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

How strange! no idea why this should be.
I run Campag mech's on every bike except one (always have), but have never had one crack. :?
The 'knuckle' on Record OR and Icarus is pared-down to a sleeker shape than earlier/lower models, but I can't see how this would cause it as there's a similar thickness of alum' in the crack region, I think?
Perhaps they used a different alloy, or had QC issues with some Record OR mech's.
Wonder if this was a problem with any road mech's that use the same part?

Re:

You've got me worried now!, so I've just checked my mech's; neither of the Record OR's have cracks, nor does an abused and broken one that's been in pieces for years. Same goes for the Icarus'. Phew.
I have found a Chorus road mech with a crack beginning though. (Ironically this has been serving MTB duty for a couple of years with an OR cage.)

They don't all crack then. Hopefully if you bide your time, a good-un will emerge eventually. ;)

'tis odd that so many have cracked though... perhaps we're seeing a concentration of them, because all the good ones have been taken?
Interested to hear anyone else's experience.

how prone are they to fail given the crack? even with the defect, perhaps it will still have an uneventful and full life? :LOL:

i've not had any experience with anything but Shimano. :oops: which might be a good thing! :mrgreen:

Re:

Good point. I don't notice any issues with this mech. It functions well and I really like the campa style shifting feel. But it's not aestetics alone, I'd prefer to have it fixed just because it gives me a better feeling :)

Re:

When I clicked on this thread I was expecting to see pictures of a Yeti/Alpinestars/Manitou frame :LOL:

Could it be something to do with where the bike is being stored i.e. a thermal crack? Seems to be cracking in a strange place where you'd think there would be little to no stress. Moisture getting inside the part and freezing?

Or possibly the angle of dangle screw wound to much putting a lot of tension in the spring?

Re:

I believe it`s called a 'Hot Tear' or 'Hot cracking' depending whether its cast or forged. Either ingots/billets not heated correctly before forging or poor heat control during casting, Either way, I bet nearly every one they made will have the same defect to a greater or lesser degree. If you want to ride it I'd go for a different year or alternative spec of mech if you want to sleep peacefully. Shame as they are a lovely looking piece of work.

Swap with Record road body?

Interesting topic (I have some, fortunately uncracked) ... I looked through the 93-95 Spare Parts Catalogues and noticed the Record OR derailleur body parts number matches Record road's. Perhaps swap bodies? ... keep OR cage.

Back