Can you tell me what bike this is?

$_57.JPG

the sticker on the seattube is a big clue, as are some closeups of the bb and hs area innit

Generic aluminium available to most independent retailers, Far east manufactured of course, with Easton tubing, the box section rear end did bump up the price by a small margin, but negligible. Dependant on the shop, and if they stickered it, retail from about 150 to 199, trade price, £99. and the Vat.

Factualgnome":3uyl9gxf said:
Thanks. So it's a shitty mass produce frame.

Its no different to say a mass produced Marin, or anything else that came from the far east at the time made of aluminium imho.

I don't recall the cost of say an Marin Indian Fire Trail or what ever model made of alloy that was higher in the range, but this frame isn't really any different. A Coyote was the same thing, different buyers spec small differences obviously, this one looks to be Easton elite, the cnc "style" rear end is/was novel, it will polish up really nice, the welding will be to the standard, and with settled geometry at this stage in the game there shouldn't be many surprises, you might find the rear end harsh, but you might like its directness, only riding it will you know.

The fact its was an accessible price point and "home"? branded (shall we say), wont necessarily make it crap or ride crap, you just didn't pay a premium for the marketing of the brands awareness.

Look at say a NTI Far east Rock Lobster, the same build ethos as with a steel Bontrager, and built to a price point in the far east, and still a cool ride imho today, and certainly not mega bucks, they did the job, held together, weren't particularly heavy, well gusseted, and with a choice spec you had a premium race bike, without the hype and premium price.

(Edit) I guess if you took the retail price of a £1000 Marin aluminium bike, dismantled it, factored in a little cost for the brand name and left yourself with a frame, it would have worked out about £100 more than what the retail cost of this frame would have been (- I cant think of a way to sum it up, in terms of comparisons other than this...)

What you have their regardless of brand is an excellent trail/commuter bike so on one hand it's cheap but on the other it's a good winter ride which is no different to the 5.2 Rockrider that i own and am quite happy to pootle around on when doing nothing serious ..

sinnerman":1d9sxn02 said:
Factualgnome":1d9sxn02 said:
Thanks. So it's a shitty mass produce frame.

Its no different to say a mass produced Marin, or anything else that came from the far east at the time made of aluminium imho.

I don't recall the cost of say an Marin Indian Fire Trail or what ever model made of alloy that was higher in the range, but this frame isn't really any different. A Coyote was the same thing, different buyers spec small differences obviously, this one looks to be Easton elite, the cnc "style" rear end is/was novel, it will polish up really nice, the welding will be to the standard, and with settled geometry at this stage in the game there shouldn't be many surprises, you might find the rear end harsh, but you might like its directness, only riding it will you know.

The fact its was an accessible price point and "home"? branded (shall we say), wont necessarily make it crap or ride crap, you just didn't pay a premium for the marketing of the brands awareness.

Look at say a NTI Far east Rock Lobster, the same build ethos as with a steel Bontrager, and built to a price point in the far east, and still a cool ride imho today, and certainly not mega bucks, they did the job, held together, weren't particularly heavy, well gusseted, and with a choice spec you had a premium race bike, without the hype and premium price.

(Edit) I guess if you took the retail price of a £1000 Marin aluminium bike, dismantled it, factored in a little cost for the brand name and left yourself with a frame, it would have worked out about £100 more than what the retail cost of this frame would have been (- I cant think of a way to sum it up, in terms of comparisons other than this...)

Thanks for the detailed description, very helpful. i might take a punt at the right price. advantage of having some xt parts as well. :LOL:

Nothing wrong with the frame at all, probably made in the same factory (e.g. Fairly) as many of the big-name brands. All that is missing is a little marketing pixie dust.

I bet that the brand snobs would be unable to find any difference riding in the dark...

Back