8 quid at the fleamarket and xtr 950 bb question

Plodder

Dirt Disciple
Found this 8 £ KHS Alite 4000 in the pile of thrashed bikes at todays westend fleamarket in Oslo. BB is shot. Will use the parts on a F 1000 Cannondale cad 3 frame. Anyone know if the 109 mm BB5500 Octalink will work on a Cannondale in Place of the 112,5 Xtr BB ?

The splines on the DA BB-7700 are the same. Don't know about the others.

That makes the £31 bike with the m900 groupset look like an expensive rip off.

With the 105 bb, the splines will be fine for the xtr crank as they should be octalink v1, the only thing to watch out for is the axle is slightly shorter so depending on your frame, clearance might be an issue.

If you are going to bin the shot xtr bb, any chance I could take it off your hands? Been wanting to take one apart to see if it is possible to get replacement parts but not had one shot enough to risk breaking.

Wow £8!!!! Even more wow is that £8 will just about buy you a cup of coffee in Oslo so incredible bargain!

BB disintegrated when I pulled it so I threw it out directly. Loose roller bearings and balls and wtf were Shimano thinking ?

Plodder":2pkx7y3w said:
BB disintegrated when I pulled it so I threw it out directly. Loose roller bearings and balls and wtf were Shimano thinking ?
Shame as they are supposed to be rebuildable. Have been looking into bearings for other reasons and came across bits that would probably do the job. Guess I'll have to wait until mine wears out.

ishaw":1rray4lf said:
Plodder":1rray4lf said:
Shame as they are supposed to be rebuildable. Have been looking into bearings for other reasons and came across bits that would probably do the job. Guess I'll have to wait until mine wears out.

Don't happen to have the spanners to remove one do you?
I bought a frame with one in, meant to be nice and smooth, it
feels like a bad wheel, a wheel that needs cones and races.

ishaw":1pzh1v70 said:
Plodder":1pzh1v70 said:

Really? I have a M950 BB on my Mantra and it is slowly dying. I thought I'll have to pay a fortune to get a new bb! Or a whole different crank...
I'll take a closer look, before I throw them.

Edit:
Did a bit of googling, result: http://www.kurbelix.de/products/Fahrrad ... BM950.html?

Back