April/May 2016 builds and faffing

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I've not been able to build any bikes and hardly ride on other than to work and back.

So what have you been building retrowise or faffing with trying to get to work in April and coming into May. The weather's often even nice to ride in now.

Post up your builds and faffs you may not normally post up too. A commuter that not worth a buld thread, some forks you finally got working or a fully cleaned up mech or that bastard bit that wouldn't just work.
And of course your lovely period retroness of a bike.

Re:

My commuter is the only thing I've done to it's final spec over this month (and maybe last month)

Bastardised into a comfort, two mile commuter bike.

It's a 1993 Kona Kilauea some nice Marzochhi red XC700 and some retro gear shoved on, buggered into a 9sp 11-24 rear/ 38 front,fleegle barred single gripshift, bike and it does it job perfect. The gripshift just works best here for me. The forks are serious overkill but they needed to be used and looked lonely.

I'll get some pics up when I take some :)

Attachments

• IMG_20160423_181641-1280x960.jpg
    IMG_20160423_181641-1280x960.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 581
Just spruced this up today. Rear caliper seized. Swapped for shimano. Sorry. Well I like it. Bought some xt levers for the broom as Mike muz stole them on his visit.

Wondering what to take to mayhem for the night lap. Might be this.

96585114ebf14c834cd86438c3831a57_zpsey3htmni.jpg

Re:

Who , me :?

I won't be doing a thread, just a before and after. Of this,

A 1997 Gary Fisher Mamba. My reintroduction to mtb riding. Pictured as it was when I'd done it up and got it working properly. Before ratting it. :facepalm:

Now, about to have a new look ;)

Mike

Attachments

• garf at home.jpg
    garf at home.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 555
  • ratfish3.jpg
    ratfish3.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 555
Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2e03yabu said:
Who , me :?

I won't be doing a thread, just a before and after. Of this,

A 1997 Gary Fisher Mamba. My reintroduction to mtb riding. Pictured as it was when I'd done it up and got it working properly. Before ratting it. :facepalm:

Now, about to have a new look ;)

Mike

I had one :roll:

Re:

Cool brother! They're actually very good, light bikes. Despite being low down in the range

Re:

Love the Fleegles, man...

I'm planning a "reimagining" of this early period Clockwork and documenting its build up. I'm thinking of 1x7 retromod, built for takin' it to the streets. Frame colour is between sparkling green, a zingy orange or a pale grey with sparkle and high gloss lacquer. May well stick with '93 style decals.

I'm also planning a restoration on a couple of saddles (Charge Spoon and a Vetta Tri Shock), plus a custom 7-speed combo project inspired by this:

http://cycleseven.org/customising-shima ... e-cassette

Whether I actually get any spare time to myself to get round to doing any of this is way hopeful, of course...

Attachments

• old groovy.jpg
    old groovy.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 498
Re:

Currently trying to decide whether to further wreck the 'rat' Kona by using it as an occasional beach and trail bike, or build up the Zaskar for that task, as it's pretty beat up and dented....

In the meantime there's a Breezer getting no attention at all! :facepalm:

Attachments

• Zak polished up 006.JPG
    Zak polished up 006.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Cindy finished 008.JPG
    Cindy finished 008.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 485
Back