The latest from Shimano is... square taper!

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Shimano released their electrical motor for bikes last year, but it's this year when they are advertising it all over the place, trying to make up the lost time against competitors like Bosch or Panasonic in the German market, which is the world leader on e-bikes (Belgian cyclocrossers excluded ;-))

What is (gladly) surprising is that the bottom bracket used in this system is... square taper!!

Which goes on to prove that there might be other "standards" that might be lighter, or more rigid, or more creaky, but when it comes to performance for money, square taper is still the system to beat!!

I'm no engineer, but I presume square taper is one of the best systems for the energy transfer from the engine, plus it keeps overall costs and maintenance lower than other fancy standards.

Funnily enough, the current market leader, Bosch, uses something that looks similar to Octalink...

Attachments

• steps.png
    steps.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 760
  • Bosch.png
    Bosch.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 760
Re:

After 20 years if bottom bracket evolution, still nothing can beat the square taper!

They know their market. I suspect many of the kind of bikes and riders they'll be targeting with this will never have moved on.

Back