Which STS should I keep?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've finally built up the STS I had in a box and it's turned out rather nicely IMHO, if not a little bit of a retro mod (it's a 97, they both are).

I've also got round to putting up my 6 bike rack and hung what I can from it, but it still leaves me with 5 on the ground and 3 in boxes. I'm hoping to reduce this down some more, a couple I've ear marked to go, but I'm thinking that I don't really need two STS bikes (do I?).

I've posted a few pics below, both are different build wise, but in terms of frame there are differences:

STS-2 has the alloy head tube and exposed seat post. It has also benefitted from a BETD bearing upgrade and is currently fitted with a fox rear shock from a jekyll with a custom trunnion mount.

The STS 1000-DS has a thermoplastic head tube, curved seat tube with a more standard seat post fitting. It has a fox air shock with what seems to be an original/specific trunnion mount (though this does not fit the modern shocks as the air can diameter on them is larger). I've fitted a new strong bushing kit and the rear end can take a disc brake (I've got the adapter for this).

Build wise, the STS-2 is mostly m970 with spinergy wheels, fox float rlc forks and Thomson finishing kit (all were bought new and have done zero miles). I swapped the disc only lowers on the forks with some new v brake capable ones from mojo.

The STS 1000-DS was built up from bits in the parts bin and has been blessed with XT m77x drive train and v brakes, spin wheels, sram cassette, Reba fork (world cup carbon csu, team v brake lowers), use stem, fsa slk carbon risers and a crank bros joplin dropper post.

I'm thinking I like the look of the DS frame better, but is it a better frame? I'm assuming it's an evolution of the earlier alloy heas tubed frames, but I could be wrong, so which is the better frame? The DS can run discs so is a bit more flexible too I guess (though I'd need wheels for that and couldn't use the spins or spinergy's).

Once I've decided which to keep, the next dilemma is whether to swap any parts over.

I'm keen to get some opinions on frame and parts as I'm pretty indecisive.

I appreciate that the parts are modern but the frames are 97, so if this needs moving to the >98 section, please feel free.

file.php

If you sell the STS-2 I'll take the frame off you. I'd like a spare for mine should anything happen to it.

Re:

Neither, give them both to me :LOL:

I'd agree with what FFTC said, keep the alloy headtube frame, but also keep the Spin wheels. Can't have an STS without some Spins.

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":rqm59qud said:
What the lads are saying,keep the STS2 and stick on the Spins.Lucky man to be in this conundrum :mrgreen: .

It's a 1st World problem for sure :LOL:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in two minds as I prefer the more standard seat post arrangement on the ds, plus as it's got external cable routing, can run discs if I ever want to.

Interested in why the sts-2 is coming out on top. It looking more balanced is interesting, why? Is it the frame or build that has achieved this?

Anyone know the merits of the alloy head tube vs the thermoplastic wrapped version?

I'm no expert on GTs but to me the alloy headtube frame is what STSs look like. It looks more classic and sets it apart from modern bikes. I'm not really keen on the builds on either bike tbh, though I understand why you would go for them. If they were mine I would keep the alloy headtube bike, and the spins but built it with more period forks and groupset. M953 or something. And no dropper post!
I don't mean any offence btw, just offering my opinion since you asked. I'd probably just keep schtum otherwise. ;)

edit to add- I've never been a fan of GT. To me they are a BMX brand, but the one GT that has always attracted my attention every time I see one is the STS. Don't know what that's worth, but there you go. :LOL:

I think it depends on you, if you are going to ride it, then the later version with the carbon/black headtube, but if its just for looks then the aluminium/silver headtube one. Only because the black ones don't break as much. (so they say)

Latest posts

Back