Jubilee clip on split seat tube (at clamp)

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
Has anyone tried this? I've just seen someone suggest it online. I have a frame with this problem

jaypee":3ygxkq80 said:
Has anyone tried this? I've just seen someone suggest it online. I have a frame with this problem

Never tried myself but i would think you would be better off sleeving with a shim then clip that top and bottom to spread the load a bit .
Paul

Re:

could use an extra collar/clamp over the top of the seat tube like like this...

Attachments

• seat clampage.jpg
    seat clampage.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 744
Re:

Thanks guys! Here you go. The crack wasn't quite where I remembered it and actually a jubilee clip couldn't really go anywhere the clamp could go so probably wouldn't work in my case after all.

shinobi":26ywr1ro said:
jaypee":26ywr1ro said:

Never tried myself but i would think you would be better off sleeving with a shim then clip that top and bottom to spread the load a bit .
Paul

Good idea, cheers Paul :D

If you drill that as Rob said, but right at the end of the crack with a 2mm drill bit, use a long and properly sized seatpost and a decent seatclamp (I'd suggest a Salsa Liplock) then chance are you will not have any further issues. Just check it after every ride.
A jubilee clip will do nothing to stop that crack propagating.

Re:

Good advice, thanks guys. It's fairly down the list this one but one day I'll get round to it (the post was prompted by seeing that suggestion online)

Back