Worth a read...

I think there's still room for all kinds of cyclists - and I welcome the recent entrants.

The difficulty comes in finding the less hardcore ones to spend time with. Mountain biking used to basically mark you out as a hippy type (at least in comparison to a roadie) - and my mates and I would regularly go out in jeans, walking boots or even wellies. Now the roadie mentality seems to have infected mountain bikers too.

I'd love to go out for a bumble around the hills with other mountain bikers in the area, but they all seem to be focussed on strava/kit/crazy predefined courses.

I find myself in the odd position of agreeing with just about every word written. I'm still the hippy in the jeans and sometimes derided for it. Some of my bikes were old then and even older now - no nods from the roadies anymore either.

...this fake professionalisation in leisure cycling hides the joy from people who might otherwise have got involved

Its no fun no more!

Oh good grief, so I'm no longer the only one who feels this way either

''..it’s just another example of something lovely, free and non-corporate being turned into a mega industry. And that makes me sad. Can’t we have some things which don’t get packaged up, branded and marketed? Isn’t there any part of life where I can experience a freedom from corporatism without have my experience re-packaged and sold back to me?...''

^^ Me too....

I love that cycling is more popular than ever - but the 'organised feats of strength' influence is not something I'm down with. SO many of my colleagues say "oh you love cycling....enter this sportive or that event'. Then I look at it and think - £30+ to ride the hills where I live? With competitive people? Strava-strutting or whatever....It's just wrong.

I have stopped riding in jeans though. Well....my nice pair anyway. Must have been all those years of getting shouted at by my mum. :)

I've been reading the comments and quite a few have missed the point. Its nothing to do with what you are riding, its how its being done. Off-road is now at trail centre speeds rubbing other users up the wrong way plus some roadies are just getting plain mean in their attitudes to other road users.

Re:

The world is as the world is.

Honestly, there are many things in the world that create a dissonance within a more sensitive soul's sensibilities. I think that the ability to rise above the general fray, and partially insulate one's self from the madness of the marketing machine ... and possibly not even really care what all the 'other's out there might think about you (riding in jeans and flip-flops, or lycra tighties; a new(ish) bike, or a retro-ride, if that's your choice) ... can only serve to solidify the happiness and sense of satisfaction that one might muster within one's soul.

"Fu** 'em all", is what I say ...

Re:

After quite some time off the mountain bike, Im amazed at what people call mountain biking nowadays, all this going to a trail park, or a place with man made trails. Back in the day me and my pals would go out with an ordanance survey map and ride, and explore, get lost and love it.

But things move on, so thats cool for those who have lost the spirit of adventure mountain biking used to hold, they have a place to go to, Ill just keep exploring.

I think the secret is dont get bogged down in what others are doing, just do what makes you happy

Re:

i agree with the last guy. back in the day i went every where on a mk2 chopper which probably most of us who are mid 40s now probably had at some time. when bmx came in i was still riding my mk2 chopper round a council built bmx track and still pissing on most with their puchs, gts, and aero pro burners. its a crime that i dont really ride any more as ive become to fat and lazy,or is it just because the kid in me and the fun of it all has gone :cry: :cry: :cry: then i found this forum and started messing with retro mountain bikes.lots have come and gone,some i still have and wont get shut of,some i wish i still had.all this is slowly bringing the kid back in me i think.only this time im a kid with money and an attitude to one day soon get back out there and go any where i like on something nice and retro!!! sorry if im missing the point of topic

I kind of agree with Tom Marriage cycling is changing but I won't let that put me off doing my own thing. I went for a ride yesterday with a couple of friends on their modern di2 disc brake bikes and they left me for dust but I don't care, in the car park a passer by looked at my Ribble and said it was a lovely bike no mention of those modern machines at all. I like my trail centres, I like my bridleways green lanes etc I love exploring just because life changes doesn't mean you have to, accept it and let it pass you by and enjoy it a your own pace.

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed it.

I also feel identified with the feelings shown in the article. After spending last year cycling the Indian Himalaya with a 25 year old - 80 euro bike (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=327613) I laugh leaving my friends behind on Sunday rides with their flashy new full suspension bikes because their old ones were "holding them back".

But cycling is part of society, and nowadays society is just a rush of consumism, of getting the latest thing, and uploading any daily task on our favourite social network because if not reported, it didn't happen. We can't expect the bike industry to remain isolated and pure.

However, it's in our hands not to fall in the latest fad, not to upgrade our bikes to the latest useless "development", or point out publicly the B.S. of bike magazines and websites where they test "affordable" 5k bikes and criticise the reasonably priced bikes because "it comes with square taper BB" or has "no through axle".

Now, get out there and explore. A bit of inspiration: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334997

Back