** Nuke Proof Hub - Help!! **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
took the rear hub apart today as not been happy with it since i bought it on here, and discovered the spring ring that holds the pawls in place has a section missing!!

any ideas or anyone with a suitable spare for this?!

i tried an keyring but its too thick, the spring is only around half a mm in dia. spring wire is available on eBay, so could try making one, but a correct part would be preferable!

Attachments

• nuke.jpg
    nuke.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 596
Tried contacting nukeproof? Unless ive imagined it, im sure ive seen pawls held on by an o ring, maybe worth a try but my gut feel is it wont last long.

Another option is to try those spring used on car balljoint covers.... if you can find one the right size and thickness, assuming they are strong enough.

Is it not supposed to have a gap in it? How else would you fit it? You could try looking for snap rings of the right diameter?

Re:

it's only about half a mm diameter and it should touch, with a slight bend at each end to stop it from spinning around the body, currently it won't hold in all three pawls....

Re:

does anyone recognise the body? maybe it's used in other hubs..... that might help me track down a spring?

Attachments

• hub1.jpg
    hub1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 527
I've got a flat circlip 0.4mm thick which might do the job, but might be too stiff to spring properly:

It was in a sample pack from TFC (http://www.tfc.eu.com). If you have a look at their 'external wound wire rings' page they might have something which would do the job better.
Just send them an email sounding official and they'll send you a sample ring :D

All the best,

Attachments

• 2016-04-10 12.47.37.jpg
    2016-04-10 12.47.37.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 518
It is only a length of wire so have you thought of making a replacement :?
Heated red hot then plunged into cold water should produce hardening enough to hold its shape.

I'll measure a marzocchi safety spring. Theyre the same simple design and you never know maybe the same size or reformed :) But i stick to saying its simple enough to make :?

I don't think it's functionally necessary, just there to aid assembly. Campagnolo hubs have a similar construction and no spring. All you need to do is tie a loop of cotton thread round the pawls, fit it halfway into the hub, then snip the cotton. Job done.
When the pawls are inside the hub they will be unable to move outwards as they are retained by the hub ratchet.

And the Campag ones actually came with the tool to hold the pawls in:

But as you say, a loop of thread will do the job just fine. I'd forgotten about that trick :D

All the best,

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 482
Back