Rock Shox Judy XC/FSX upgrade to 80mm, how?

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Need some advice. Looking to use a set of Rock Shox Judy FSX I have on hand but would like to get them upgraded to approx 80mm of travel?

Need any input with respect to best cost option, best performance option and best available/ease of upgrade.

I've seen ones upgraded with Englund Total Air, Speed Springs and others. Would any of these provide 80mm? How well do these compare in performance, durability and servicing?

Also have read internal swaps with DH and later Judy models with 80mm travel.

Pros and cons are welcomed. Also open to suggestions around other 80mm fork options.

Thx!

I nearly did a long travel conversion by swapping the lower legs on my 1997 Judy SL Long Travel with FSX legs, they were running replacement springs. Only work I would have needed to do was drill out the lower legs of the FSX to take the larger diameter later Judy bolts.

just found this online RS Judy manual for 1996. says i can get it up to 75mm of travel just by replacing the cartridge with another one.

http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge ... judyxc.pdf

Judy XC, SL and FSX models are capable of having any of three travels that are available: 2" (50mm), 2.5" (60mm), or 3" (75mm). The list below gives part numbers for different cartridge kits available: (cartridge kit=cartridge and neutral shaft)

2.0" (50mm) adj. cartridge kit 59053
2.5" (60mm) adj. cartridge kit 59054
3.0" (75mm) adj. cartridge kit 59055

Re:

Travel is altered by changing the cartridge and dummy rod. You need to do both.

Someone has done a conversion to hydrocoil, it in the wiki. That's probably the best performing option if not the faffiest.

Then just get some springs.

So Judy XC hydracoil, like this one?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102535&start=20

Maybe it needed servicing, but it made a horrible clunk sound when compressed. And it had a very "pogo" like spring action. neither of which gave me much confidence on it's performance. :?

What Fluffy said. RS made long travel kits.

A51E2526-BEAB-49BE-AD6C-6B5D04B10D3A-2521-000000B770E076BF_zpsfad451c5.jpg

It was me that did that Hydracoil conversion.
So obviously I think its the better solution. :roll:
Hydracoil works much better (less friction) and is more reliable than the older dampener cartridge system. And you can adust the travel between 75 and 100mm.
You need one old Hydracoil Judy, new seals, 2 thread inserts, fork oil.

The problem with the fsx is thou, that the lowers dropouts might be leaking oil.

But its all explained in the wiki article.

If you have any questions, ask. I would be happy to answer.

Here is the wiki article: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Special ... conversion

About the blue Hydracoil Judy you pictured: If the dampening is not worling, it might be missing oil. Or the oil might be too light. Or its misadusted, it has a rebound adjustment "cap" at the bottom of the left (I think) leg.

I'm an ex Rockshox technician / service dude... From 1993-1997. Seems so long ago!

As above you need to replace the dummy rod and cartridge. My FSX forks are converted to the 75mm travel. Small tip is to add two bushes at the upper fork legs to reduce flex/movement.

Back