Can I Index Friction Shifter For 3 Sprocket Crankset?

woodbine

Dirt Disciple
BIKE DETAILS: Late 80s British Eagle MTB, 18 speed (6 gear Uniglide & 3 sprocket oval Biopace), Deore derailleurs and Deore SIS shifters.

My bike has the original Deore SIS friction shifter to change between the the 3 sprockets on the crankset. Is there a way to change this so that changing is indexed? The rear derailleur is already indexed.

Thanks for any advice.

Re:

You can simply buy a 3-speed indexed front shifter. Is the current one broken though? There's not a lot of point in indexing your front shifting to be honest, it the friction shifter still works.

That's not some traditionalist saying this either - there are sound reasons of reliability and ease of adjustment/chainline crossover issues why friction front shifting can be better than indexed.

And you can trim the shifter/front mech to suit rear cog chain line. I run an old xt thumb shifter in friction against a 9 sp indexed rear to allow this. Much easier to set up and ride.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, what you have both said makes sense, especially the chain line. Thought indexing would simplify things so no need to make occasional adjustments at the most inconvenient times, eg. panting up a steep hill.

As an aside, do newer bikes have indexed cranksets?

Re:

Yes,newer bikes have indexed front gears but you always end up with some chain rub which is why I used non indexed gripshift
Kes

New bikes dont have an indexed front end as they have gone daft with it all back to front

Yes, that is a 48t rear cassette and yes, the person that bought this will tell you that its better than anything else ever ever ever ever. But then they have just spent a lot of money as well and are not likely to say its shit (until the next thing comes along that really brings the trails alive)

p4pb12165683.jpg

But, as a counter argument, many hardly ever shift at the front end and a triple on any MTB was always a bit excessive. The UK scene was originally cross country and for long rides so rarely would a 48t chainring get used.

Front indexing was always going to be awkward due to differing chainlines, mech reach, cable pull between groupsets and that nagging sound of chain scraping on the mech brought many to near insanity.

But, again, many also have no problems whatsoever and look blankly on at those crying over front mech adjustment.

legrandefromage":uk884sao said:
. The UK scene was originally cross country and for long rides so rarely would a 48t chainring get used.
back when I MTBed mine got used loads. But we used to ride out into the peaks, did the offroad stuff and rode home again. So the 48 Front gave decent road gears. These days, the "engineless downhill motorbike" goes on a rack on the car, so very little road riding is done

Shimano road gruppos use front indexing and its a heap big pain t'ass. It means the cable has to be just spot on to minimise rubbing and any over enthusiastic trim shifting throws your chain onto the little chainring. Campag's micro adjustment at the front is much better (IMO anyway)

Back