MTB running 700c - brake options

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Another dozy question :facepalm:

I am in the process of building a Univega Racelite and have test fitted some 700c road bike wheels, I had planned to fit some 28mm tyres and make a straight bar, slick tyre fitness bike. Ok so far just a few tweaks needed:)

However, I forgot about the larger wheels and the brake rims so cant use V brakes like I have when it was running 26" :?

What are my options, there are holes in the frame and I have test fitted some Shimano 105 road brakes and they catch the rims, but then I have the canti-post in the frame which will look odd - I could have these cut off but would then ruin a perfectly good frame.

Anyone shed any insights

BMX Motolites let you move the pad up and down the brake arm high enough to run 700c wheels.

I would personally stick with 26 inch and get some 26 X 1.25 slicks(Michelin do a 26 X 1.00) and run them at the highest pressure, you will be surprised in the agile transformation of your bike.
This will be the cheapest least amount of fuss way to go. Otherwise you are looking at money for brake callipers or overly expensive aftermarket Brake arms and because the bike was V Brake you will need to replace brake levers too.
A member by the handle of @WD Pro did a very nice rebuild of a Marin and turned it into a very nippy commuter, search out the link on here to view the thread, I think that bike is running 26 X 1.25's and it is drool worthy.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43798&start=80

Hope forum member is ok with me linking in his bike?

Try these - the 700c rolling diameter will feel a lot better than 26" 559 on slicks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Colors-PRGC ... SwKtlWsEj6

$_57.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Problem with those brakes: The leverage gets worse the higher up you have to move the brake pads. So the braking will be odd and weak.
Another Idea is to use a 28" fork up front, like I did with my centurion titan.

(the bike is not fully built yet. I have now a XTR/MA2 whell set, waiting for new tyres.)

Re:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264529

This is a thread I started awhile ago, these were 700c bikes with essentially MTB config from the early to mid 90's (and obviously right through to today) they are the original 29ers, they are already 700c Canti/V Brake, so they would fit your needs perfectly.

Re:

26" wheels with skinny slick tyres work rather well, I use Michelin 26x1.1, not at maximum pressure though as you do need a bit of give in the tyres or you'll find your fillings will fall out on the rougher road surfaces!
Simple swap of the wheels and its all ready to hit the tarmac. Quick swap back and its ready for off-road again :)
Also have a close ratio road bike cassette on the wheels too.

I'd only go down the route of 700c wheels and suitable brakes if the bike was going to be almost permanently on the road, and at that point i'd probably start considering an actual road bike or cyclo-cross bike.

Back