Ladies quality MTB preferably with XT groupset?

Moto

Dirt Disciple
I cycle a lot with my wife, nothing too difficult but mainly lane, tracks, forest paths etc. Our bikes are old (sorry retro) but we like that. However my wife's is a heavy cromo, lowish end item (Carerra) we bought from Halfords in the late 90's.

I've been looking around for a second hand quality bike from the 90's with good quality components and something lighter. However everything I see which fits this is always a man's frame and she like's a sloping crossbar. Can anyone suggest some 90's high end makes / models that were available with a ladies frame.

Searching for a model may well be easier.

Thx

I've done a couple of projects along these lines for family members and found that the requirement of a step-through frame hugely limits the options. I wasn't looking for a retro model particularly (and I actually wanted something more modern and lighter, i.e. aluminium) - I ended up doing a decent job on this Pendleton Brooke - build thread here for ideas viewtopic.php?f=21&t=330812 It has a good aluminium frame in a nice finish that is worth putting decent parts on.

I suspect that to get something with high-end components you're going to have to build it from scratch once you've found the frame. But there is some discussion of older models with the names of some to look out for here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=330081

Re:

Fatal Swan":2cqizpj3 said:
I suspect that to get something with high-end components you're going to have to build it from scratch once you've found the frame. But there is some discussion of older models with the names of some to look out for here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=330081

Agreed. I actually opened the linked thread above. Unfortunately all step-through frames I've found are low to mid range. I guess manufacturers didn't think their users would do serious mtb. Nothing wrong with it, just upgrade the components and you'll end up with a nice bike anyway. Here in Germany, it's easy to find Wheeler bikes in the 300LX or lower range.

I'm still looking for one, but not actively. The current solution is just to use a '91 Trek 950 I already had, and install a monster stem with at least a 20 cm quill so she can sit upright, and she's happy.

If your wife requires a size 16" or less, the frame will automatically come with a big sloping, not requiring a step-through frame.

Re:

Thx for the info. The links were really helpful.

So it seems no high end step through frame bikes were made in the 90's. That's buggered that plan.

The wife is 5' 6" but I get very confused about frame sizes tbh. My mtb is a 22.5" frame and at 5' 11" I'm supposed to be way too small for it. But it's a perfect fit since I changed the 0 deg stem for a 15 deg. Made all the difference.

I have therefore considered getting her a very small man's frame bike on the assumption that I could modify the reach by changing the stem and saddle if necessary. This way the choice of bikes on the market is much wider and therefore should be able to find a nice Deore XT high end bike.

It's a nice idea of building up a frame by buying parts until you look at the prices of the parts. I reckon I would end up spending a small fortune to do this.

Back to ebay I suppose. It's a shame the classified on this site are so hard to search - or am I missing something?

Keep an eye out for one of the small Alpinestars frames/bikes that sometimes come up for sale, they might he ideal, otherwise it's a smaller framed man's Mtb I'm afraid.
Would you consider something modern? I recently looked at a few modern Mtb's designed for women, used, for under £200, eg Felt 85 etc. Whilst not quite XT levels of components they seem ok, Alivio/Acera parts and decent Suntour forks.

jimo746":ic4ykcbq said:
Would you consider something modern?

I know it's a stupid generalisation but I just don't like new stuff. It all seems to be over complex and 'engineered' down to the lowest quality materials manufacturers can get away with. I just like stuff to be simple and over-engineered, like it's been built to last forever and take a lot of punishment. - Sorry a soapbox moment!

Re:

Marin did a nice frame with a dropped top tube. Bike was entry level but it would stand an upgrade

Personal fave though is a muddy fox mixte. Did these for a Few years. Class as spec or upgradable. They are out there

Hmm, female MTB bike - I have seen a cool Panasonic recently. It was with some kind of old LX groupset, IIRC.

I've got a nice and mostly original small (male) Cinelli with full XT M730 groupset - sound like it might be of your interest?

Dont forget Orbit and Overbury's - they did 'lady' friendly frames.

file.php

And heres my long gone Muddy Fox

file.php

Back