Well Lads, sandblast or paint stripper?

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
I have a 92 Muirwoods that I want to backdate to a 91, as I like that Zolotone Grey with the Neon Green over the Black and Neon Yellow
I have wanted a 91 since I was 14, and came across the frame I have was hand painted Blue over the original paint, so it needs repainting anyway.
Will upload a pic later.

Anyway chaps sandblast or paint strippers?

If you know a good sandblaster go for it
Paint strippers a ball ache
If the frames sound I'd go for blasting

Re:

Bowser, pretty much what I am thinking may try stripper at home first as I have quite a few frames I could use repainting if it is easy enough.
Here is is in its messed up glory.

Attachments

• 314392724 (1).jpg
    314392724 (1).jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 711
Re:

To be honest, unless you do the all the work yourself, you would be better searching for one in the colours you like. They are very cheap.

Even Team Margins come along cheap now and then, and Pine Mountains.

I have a 91 Team Marin a 94(?) Team Issue, and a mate has my 94 Pine Mountain on extended loan, Marin's were not too common back in 91 I only knew one person that had a Marin, I also remember talking to a guy at our LBS bitd and he said they were not moving, mountain biking was happening but not with any gusto.
Last 91 Muirwoods that came up on Trade Me went for $150NZ, I don't really feel like paying that for essentially a frame and wheels as the GS200 normally is shagged esp cranks. Couple that with Auckland being surrounded by salt water in semi tropical conditions most of them have started to rust.
I have this frame and would pay for sandblasting so I don't have to deal with taking it back to bare metal, I may just use paint stripper though if it is too expensive to sandblast

Why would you want to leave the original gear on it? We changed up everything as soon as we could back in the day.

I would spend the money on your much nicer bikes, no way I would be riding around on a Muirwoods if I had a choice, what is it with plain bikes?

Individual choice.
I did not say I wanted to leave the original group set on it either?
I plan to run a mix of Deore and LX Mountain, I am building this up because I want too, and this is an era I am into, not into top of the line so much, have the Team Marin and Team Issue as I wanted them but will not go out of my way to get anything else of better quality.
This bike is being built as a bike I can lock up and leave, would not want my Team Marin or Issue stolen.

I reckon you ought to be forced to focus only on the high end frames from any given manufacturer. Of course, we could ban some of them completely. Certainly low end Marins ought to be eradicated from history.

Back