Frame builder for FAT seat tube replacement / repaint

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
I've just done a deal on a steel frame for not too much money, the reason it's inexpensive is the seat tube is rotted out....

It should be with me shortly but I'm wondering who the best person to speak to about replacement and should I stick with the original seat tube size or change it up to a more readily available one?

I also have 2 paint schemes in mind so who's the best painter? I've dealt with Argos before but this will be a rider so it needs to be good to protect the frame but not a 2K TLD job....

Thoughts?

Re:

Ben Cooper @ Kinetics in Glasgow, he's done a repair and a brake disc mount on my two Alves frames for me and then I had mine powder coated so they're pretty much bomb proof. He sends frames away for painting if you want something more fancy, but not sure who he uses. Anyway, you can Google him and get the details, there's a price list too :)

Re: Frame builder for seat tube replacement / repaint

I was going to say the same if you want to stay localish. Otherwise I think Argos are the usual suspects for this sort of work. There are few on here who have had tubes replaced and painted there. Giom and NeilM spring to mind.

Re:

If the tube is tig welded and you don't want to replace it with fillet brazed then Kevin Winter is my choice. Does some seriously strong paint also

Re: Frame builder for seat tube replacement / repaint

I'll give him a shout Pete, you think he can do Aquafade paint jobs?

Back