Klien vs cannondale

any123

Retrobike Rider
well what can i say i have been researching and have found that klein frames are the exact same form and tubing as a Cannonade and even the welds have been done the same. i am more shocked that cannonade tubing has traces of boron in them to and also MIT University admited to people at the same time one from the founder of Klein and one from cannondale very curious. let the forum debate

hummmmmm

thanks andy

Re:

So what are you saying..... A Klein is little more than an overpriced Dale with a fancy paint job :shock:

Re:

what i am saying is a dale is a klein. i have stripped one of each to the bare bone and under intense light saw where the weld are smoothed and they are the same. also pepperoni forks are the same but not straight and also the one and a quarter headset is the same diameter as the klein oversized headset and then just for measure dale went to sealed bearing headset then bottom bracket headset which dale had on 1990 models, so me wonders where klein got the idea from and perfected it. all needs explaining.

so all klein had was a paint job because the fuselage was created when dale said here is a frame and fork and then klein just added a handle bar hmmmmm

thanks andy

ps i won't even go into the 2 inch down tube scenario and also if we look at the very first dale back in time we can see a internal cable hmmmmm

Re:

So since 1985, all Aluminium Kleins were manufactured in Pennsylvania; then shipped right across the US to Washington, where Klein added a paint job, some bars and a couple of thousand dollars to the price, and what, nobody noticed..?

Re:

Gary Klein began making bicycle frames in the early 70's and production models in the mid 70's. Cannondale made backpacks and camping bags until it decided to get into bicycle manufacturing in 1983. Comparing catalog specs, Klein geometry is different, the dropouts are definitely very different, Klein offered a lifetime warranty on the frame while Cannondale offered a trade-in/exchange program requiring $150 plus the damaged frame, etc. The Durethane enamel that Klein used for all of its paint jobs cost $1,800 per gallon (see Klein Bikes on Wikipedia). The first Cannondale bikes (ST500 road or SM 500 mountain) did NOT have internal cable routing as the OP claims nor did any of the later Cannondale's = Klein had a patent on it. And if you compare the weights for similarly sized bikes there's quite a bit of a weight difference that suggests Klein's butted tubes were different than Cannondale's straight gauge tubes. Cannondale made a very nice, well built bike but I wouldn't go so far that a Klein is a Cannondale twin with a nicer shade of lipstick.

Does it matter that kleins may have been rebadged slightly tweaked and repainted cannondales? If people were willing to pay the oremium then so be it.

No different to alpina tweaking bmws or overfinch tweaking range rovers other than it is clear who made the original.

Back