Be HONEST older Retro riders - Who is taking MAHOOSIVE air ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Following on from K-rods post.

Which Retro riders ( mostly in yours 40s and 50s I guess ) are fearlessly taking massive air over jumps at trail centres ?

I have still to try this. I don't know if I have the bottle at my age ! I'm 50 in a few months :oops: I look at these huge jumps with such steep edges, huge gaps, bits carved out clearly from an accident and I think....fuxx that !

Am I wrong or do I just need to get a full susser, get with the programme and grow another pair :LOL: ? So who is/isn't doing it and why ? Pics of rigid or hard tail retro bikes defying gravity a bonus !! :cool:

Re: Be HONEST older Retro riders - Who is taking massive air ?

who the heck wants to bust their bones at over 40 yrs of age (isn't one to have absorbed a degree of wisdom by then)?

Re:

I had cause to test ride my nephew's Giant Trance full sus today around the cul de sac a couple of times. Leapt it off a pavement and got massive air of about 8". Whooped a bit.

Too easy on these new fangled things. That's enough air time for me for a while now.

(It's how I originally did my back in, trying to leap a BMX off a ledge, pulled up on the bars and the bike didn't come with me, jarred my back and pulled a muscle :facepalm: )

Re:

I did that when I was in my teens and stupid. At this age, I'm more concerned about where I can get a good pint after a ride.

Same as when I go snowboarding now. Massive air is for people without arthritis. :LOL:

legrandefromage":39epr2st said:
I live in the Fens. Its so flat you can see the future.

Whats this 'air' you speak of?

Don't you have curbs in Naaarfak ?

And another thing...did the early pioneers take massive 'NATURAL AIR' bitd ?

Yes, in the very early 1990's we were jumping down this (crap google pics)

About the highest point in the area. Really really flat but you had to make do at the time.

754.jpg

l1309865608.jpg

2904860260.jpg

I've broken 3 shimano freehub bodies jumping my stumpy on group rides this year. Shearing the bearing cup off the inner FHB.

Nah, it wasn't jumping really, just hopping terrain in the normal course of things. Either Shimano can't make good FHB's anymore, or I'm fat.

Ok. I'm fat.

J

M-Power":2s6tc8g5 said:
Following on from K-rods post.

Which Retro riders ( mostly in yours 40s and 50s I guess ) are fearlessly taking massive air over jumps at trail centres ?

I have still to try this. I don't know if I have the bottle at my age ! I'm 50 in a few months :oops: I look at these huge jumps with such steep edges, huge gaps, bits carved out clearly from an accident and I think....fuxx that !

Am I wrong or do I just need to get a full susser, get with the programme and grow another pair :LOL: ? So who is/isn't doing it and why ? Pics of rigid or hard tail retro bikes defying gravity a bonus !! :cool:

All talk of retro rides dies when you see everyone for the first time at a trail centre RB meet up.
Full sus and big discs all round.
Oh they talk the talk :LOL:

Far as im concerned NO! I spend a fortune on the bike now, so im not risking bashing it in or scratching the heck out of it .Besides i no longer bounce on falling. It just hurts and does so for weeks after.
Im not 39 any more :facepalm:

Back