Anyone have feedback or riding stories on Merlin Fat Ti?

SF Klein

Senior Retro Guru
Any RB'ers have any riding or ownership experience with a Merlin Fat Ti? How does the Headshock feel? Easy to maintain? Thanks in advance.

Re:

Yes - for suspension, in the late 90's Merlin licensed or started partnerships with Cannondale for their Headshok front suspension and with Moots for their YBB rear suspension. I don't think they sold very many which is why I'm trying to find out more info from current/previous owners.

Well, the Headshock itself had (and has) a very solid reputation, a capable air/oil fork for its generation. I don't see that mating it with a purpose-designed Merlin frame would do anything but good things. Reliable and well sealed, so long as the bearings in the shock stay good, it's a good unit.

J

Re:

I bought mine in 2010 on eBay for a good price. A Merlin magic titanium frame with the precise headshock !
The Fat Ti is one of the best and favorite bike for riding. More stiff than classic and older Merlin (I've got a 92 Merlin Mountain) because of the big diagonal tube, that bike is always a pleasure with Mavic Crossmax 1 wheels and XTR component. The Headshock works fine and doesn't loose pressure since I bought it. 70mm is enough for the rockies trails, and, in comparison with Fox RLC forks, the headshock really use the 70mm of travel and it's more precise. You can adjust it on the fly : quite smooth to very firm. The main problem of the bike : I'm small and I need the XS geometry (13,5") but the head tube is very very high.

If you can own it : go !!!

Re:

Thanks for the feedback. Alas, someone beat me to the Fat Ti that was on eBay and picked it up for $900. I'll be keeping my eyes open for another one, hopefully.

Re:

I bought the one from ebay for $900. Headshok needs a rebuild so decided to play with it a little. Waiting for a brake therapy rear disc adaptor from Texas now.

Attachments

• 2016_031910_3137_997.jpg
    2016_031910_3137_997.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 557
Back