Got some cranks to polish....best method....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got some alloy cranks I need to polish up, was thinking just Autosol and maybe a bit of T Cut and/or cutting in compound....? With enough 'elbow grease' on my part, will that work?

Don't have easy access to a buffing wheel, or else I'd use that obviously....

Hi Kaz - if there are deeper gouges on the surface in places, you can gloss those out using subsequently finer grades of Emery abrasive paper (ie: 320, 400, 1000, 1500, 2000); and then polish with the Autosol, a cloth, and elbow grease and you'll come out with a perfectly smooth, mirror-like finish.

If the surfaces are relatively good, then your plan/method should work out just fine! It can be approached as either work/a chore ... or a meditative, Zen-like process

Re:

If I take a cider out there with me it will be the latter......... :LOL:

Cheers, didn't think of emery, so I shall dig out my supplies of that.

Ha - a six-pack of liquid meditation !

There are many things that go better with a glass of wine, or a cider. Enjoy ...

Are those cranks anodized? If they are, you need to remove that ano first. Works best with chemicals.

I´ve polished a few cranks. One of them a XTR M960 which I ´Jonesed´ - cut off the ears for the big chainring and polished to mirrorfinish. Same thing minus the cutting to a pair of DuraAce 7800 cranks. Awesome result, but lots of hours and elbow grease invested, no electric help at all, just sandpaper/emery cloth/Autosol/assortment of files/hacksaw used...

Back