ID for a 1991 GT

81stColumn

Retro Newbie
The bottom bracket reads T9110 - A01: This I have taken to mean made in Oct 1991 the prefix as I understand it is consistent with overseas manufacture.

But: I have looked at the 1991 catalog and can't see a frame with identical features.

For example it does have cast horizontal fork drop-outs but they are stepped and there is no screw adjuster. The rear drop-outs are vertical and have a screw adjuster.

All the cabling threads beneath the top tube and there are no cable stops on the down tube (no file marks either).

The frame still has the nice flip-flop OEM stem but non-OEM bars the brazing is to a high standard and the bike is a very nice ride. My darling and I have both used it as a commuter and play bike over the last 15 years. It needs to be straightened after someone tried to run my wife over from behind, so I was gonna spruce things up with a period(ish) paint job and suitable decals. Not sure if I would go for Daktari White tho. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• GT_BB1.jpg
    GT_BB1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 634
  • GT_FD1.jpg
    GT_FD1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 634
  • GT_RD1.jpg
    GT_RD1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 634
  • GT_TT1.jpg
    GT_TT1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 634
  • GT_SP1.jpg
    GT_SP1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 634
  • GT_HB1.jpg
    GT_HB1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 634
Groove Tube top tube is 92. Fork is a 3D. Toyo frame. Looks like a Richter 8.0 frame. They came spec'd with Mags though..

243cae33262b4592ae4888499013e925.jpg

1992 Bravado I think. As pointed out, the Groove Tube shows it's 1992 and the fork is right for a Bravado. Plus, I'm 90% sure the 01 means top of the standard range (excluding Xizang and Psyclone), which I think was the Bravado that year.

Is that yellow under the black on the rear dropouts too?

Serial number clearly calls out 10 of 91 frame production. That appears to be the original paint so it must be an early production 1992 model year Richter 8.0 as was pointed out above.

Attachments

• GEDC3615.JPG
    GEDC3615.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 553
  • GEDC3612.JPG
    GEDC3612.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 553
Re:

You guys have been awesome. As far as I can see, I could build it as a '92 Bravado (consistent with forks) or a '91 Richter (consistent with frame no.). There is no sign of yellow in the undercoat and it never occurred to me that the paint job was original. On this latter point I am doubtful as there is no evidence of decals on the frame and the paint job was so thick I thought it had been stripped and dipped. Clearly the gear on it is not original apart from the stem.

Am under instructions that this should be a rideable rebuild (we are paying for it).

Any further advice?

If we do go with yellow, is there any info on the specific shade? The guy who would do the paint job will ask........

gm1230126":1u8cxooa said:
That appears to be the original paint so it must be an early production 1992 model year Richter 8.0 as was pointed out above.

All 3 cables in the Groove Tube were the tell. ;)

Back