XTR M-900 cranks on a road bike, q-factor?, chain line?

Barteos

Retro Newbie
Hi guys.

As in the title could anyone share their experience of using the above cranks in terms of their geometry/dimensions, q-factor, chainline etc... especially on non-mtb bikes?

I've recently built my neo retro Huissoon Columbus SLX road ride and while Stronglight chainset looks rather nice, I've always had a soft spot for M900 cranks. Putting them on a road bike would be also so wonderfully inappropriate and hopefully would confuse / upset some die hard roadie purists :LOL:

You can see from the pictures that I run a single narrow-wide 44t 110mm ring on the inside (107mm bb)

Any thoughts?

If you are doing it you will need a BB about 5-10 mm shorter to correct the chainline and allow you to use the ring in the outer position. Mounting the ring 'wrong side' works - but always looks a bit bodged to me.

Re:

I've got a set of LX cranks with a single ring in the outer position with the chain line correct for a 7 speed cassette, lined up with the centre sprocket, by using a shorter square taper BB than would be required if I were using all three rings. So it can be done provided there's enough room between the back of the crank and the BB to move them inwards far enough, if you see what I mean.

M900's are designed to run inside the M900 bottom bracket flange, (on a un90/91 bottom bracket), that's the tapered bit, I think you can see sometghin similar on that stronglight, meaning it can run shorter too, possibly.
I'm not usre if newer UN BB allow them to do that.

Back